Sako another newb from Memphis area

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by dlevtide, Nov 21, 2021.

1. dlevtide

dlevtide Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Hello all. Long-time, one Sako owner here. Finnbear 30-06 w Mannlicher stock. Have owned for nearly 40 years but never checked on date of manuf., etc.

susanna and Old Hippie like this.

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Wow!
    Mannlicher Carbine too!
    How did you do that?
    I didn’t make it 6 months before I had to have another one!
    Welcome to the club!

Bloo

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sako didn't start producing the Finnbear in Mannlicher configuration until late in the L61R period -- in fact, the great majority of them are on actions marked either AIII or AV. Regardless of how it is marked, we won't have the inspection date on it if the serial number is over about 48,000. But it is almost certainly from the late 1970's or early to mid-1980's.

4. dlevtide

dlevtide Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Thanks much for the welcome! As for how I did it, well, I was a hunter, but I guess at the time I had a rifle, a shotgun, and a couple of handguns,
    all of which were tools. Although, I do have to say the looks of the Sako were what sold me on it, as well as their (can't believe I was one of those that typed "there" and left it) reputation for quality.
    I felt it was all I needed for whitetail hunting in the Southeast.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  5. dlevtide

dlevtide Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    It is an AIII (see photos), and it is well over 48,000. I think I bought in 1983 or 1984 (most of my guns were purchased before I got married! lol!). At the time I didn't think much about it being new or used,
    but I think it may have been used due to the presence of the Williams adjustable rear sight (unless that was as factory issued?) IMG_4589.jpg IMG_4594.jpg IMG_4593.jpg IMG_4598.PNG IMG_4596.jpg

6. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    When I was hot into collecting Sakos, most large caliber mannlichers I ran across were, like Stone said, either AIII or AV actions made in the late 70's or early 80's. However, in 1971 Sako made a small run of the various calibers on the L61R action that I was always on the lookout for. Some of the large calibers like the 264 are rare with only 10 or so made. Supposedly over 200 were produced in 30-06.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The A-series Mannlichers came from the factory with Williams sights. Yours are most likely original.

8. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    My 30/06 Mannlicher #55529 L61R must be an earlier one with third lug bolt. Had a choice between it and one in .270, should have bought both!