Another "help identify these rings" please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by stickhunter, Oct 10, 2013.

1. stickhunter

stickhunter Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    Can anyone tell me what model rings these are? They look similar to modern Optilocks, but the top ring halves wrap more than half the scope body and the front ring is windage-adjustable (note the slot around the screw that mounts the ring to the base, and the grub screws on either side for windage).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I will guess they are Buehlers or Stiths but I have never owned a set that i'm aware of.-Misako

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  3. stickhunter

stickhunter Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    After doing some more searching around, I got a pointer that they may be EAWs, and I think they are. Here are some pics of EAW rings:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Stickhunter nailed that.-Misako

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Those are new ones on me. I see that they use the little lug on the rear mount like the original Sakos.

The set in the first post is slightly different from the set in the second post in that the windage adjustment works a bit differently and it is contained in both front and rear mounts, whereas the set in the second post only has adjustment in the front mount. But they are similar enough that they almost certainly come from the same manufacturer.

6. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    German EAW's. Awesome rings, I have several sets of these things. They are way too expensive, but are a really good system.

DeerGoose

7. stickhunter

stickhunter Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    DeerGoose,

Do you have any experience of how well these return to zero when removed and re-attached? I've had removable rings in the past, but never fully trusted their RTZ ability. I saw the prices of these rings and wow!!! Fortunately, these came attached to a scope and I don't think their value was factored into the cost. I'm thinking of moving the scope (2.5-10x Swaro) and rings to my Sako 338 w/ iron sights, so the quick detach/attach is attractive if it works well.

Cheers,
    Stirling

8. stickhunter

stickhunter Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    Hi stonecreek... just to clarify, the first set only have the windage adjustment in the front ring. The rear ring has a through-hole for the cross-bolt, so it looks like it is adjustable, but is not. I haven't removed the rings to inspect, but I suspect the rear ring can be rotated about its mounting bolt to properly align with the front ring.

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stick: Thanks for pointing that out. I can see what you mean now from the photos and now it makes sense that only the front is adjustable.