• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Another Grail-type Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Disclaimer: I know nothing of the seller or of this rifle.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799615972

Here is a Moose floorplate Deluxe from 1962 in .264 Magnum with a 26-inch barrel. This may or may not be your Holy Grail, but it certainly qualifies at least as a chalice from the table of Leonardo's Last Supper.

At the $2,500 starting bid it may sound pricey, but I would price it out this way: Start with a fair price for a nice early L61R Deluxe, then add a percentage for the scarce caliber, another percentage for the 26-inch barrel, another percentage for the moose floorplate, then an easy hundred-plus bucks for the original Sako ringmounts. This gets you right up there to the starting bid, so I don't think this one is over-priced.

Crap! If it only had the bear floorplate, I might have a chance to complete my "Grand Slam Grail". I'm interested to see where the bids go. Thanks for bringing this to light.

Stone, thanks for the heads up. Do you have any guess how many of these were made? Also, does everything look in order to you?

HC

Stone, thanks for the heads up. Do you have any guess how many of these were made? Also, does everything look in order to you?
HC
I wouldn't presume to give advice on a rifle I have not seen, but the pictures show no departure from its original configuration that I can see. The serial number does check out in the factory inspection records as a Deluxe in .264 from 1962.

In the GB listing, something to me just didn't look right on the moosehead plate assembly. Then I looked at mine….moosehead plate/TG nit-noid here. Check out the antlers here on my L579 MH triggerguard, vice pic #3 in the .264 listing. There's Sako messin' with us collectors once again !! dammit.

DeerGoose IMG_1345.JPG

Last edited:
In the GB listing, something to me just didn't look right on the moosehead plate assembly. Then I looked at mine….moosehead plate/TG nit-noid here. Check out the antlers here on my L579 MH plate, vice pic #3 in the .264 listing. There's Sako messin' with us collectors once again !! dammit.

DeerGooseView attachment 15558
The antlers on the trigger guard are upside down compared to yours - what gives? And your moose looks larger?

The moose horns on the FP and TG on my L61R point up. I have pictures of 2 other moose L61's (not mine) where the horns point up. The GB auction gun is the first one I've noticed that has TG horns (actually any horns) pointing down.

I just looked at many of my "animal engraving patterns" and noticed that whether its my 579's or 61's, and whether its one, two, three deer or fishgods or bears, moose and buffalo, etc., in all cases when the bolt is down, the animal is in the upright position. In my opinion, this means the auction gun is very unusual and rare.

Good eye, Deergoose! I guess we'll have to add the "opposite antlers" trigger guard as a subspecies of the Moose floorplate. Your collection won't be complete until you have both:D!

Not to step on DG's toes, but your question to him made me think about why his moose looks larger. I thought maybe it's because the floorplate on a 579 is shorter than a 61 FP. I started to post that comment, but I thought I'd better measure a couple of 61's so I could post how much longer they are than a 579. So I measured a couple of 61's and 579's and hell!, I expected the actual FP's length on the 61's to be the same, but they were not. The floorplate on the square tang early 61's are approximately 1/4" shorter than the later push button 61 floorplates. Plus the trigger guard on the early 61's is longer than the trigger guard on the push button guns. Center to center for the bottom metal screws on both guns is approximately 7.75" using a beat up old tape.

Of the Sako's that I have, I do not have any with the Moose, Bear, or Fish Gods. :-(

Some fishgods had two "eyes" and others had three. Just like one, two, and three deer in woods on some L57/579's.

Similarly, I think that President Jim has accounted for somewhere between twenty and thirty variations of the L46. He's made some extensive notes on them.

Back