Another FNG from Texas

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by byron243, Oct 27, 2020.

1. byron243

byron243 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hey y’all,

I recently inherited 2 AV actions from a family friend so I’ve been poring over posts here looking for info. Eventually I’d like to turn these into a 300 win mag and possibly a 280 Rem or 7mm Mag.

From what I understand so far, the AV has a longer tang than the L61R’s, so a stock built for the latter would have to be modified a bit to fit mine. Does anyone know of a good source for aftermarket stocks or NOS stocks?

One of the actions I received is “in the white.” The gun stores that I have talked to around here only do cerakote, but I’d much rather have it blued to match the other. Who is the best for bluing?

Looking forward to spending too much time on here planning these builds! E1843376-4DE8-42B4-9E0A-EC7BBFE368FD.jpeg AC1BF5B5-3658-4F74-9922-C8835CA7D08F.jpeg

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Most of the aftermaket ("pre-fitted) stocks available for the long actions Sakos are made for the A-V tang. However, modifying a wood stock which is inletted for the shorter A-III or L61R tang is very quick and simple for an experienced woodworker.

Your in-the-white action appears from the box label to have a "magnum" (.530") bolt face. It will have to be used for a belted magnum or similar cartridge with a rim of that size. It is unclear which bolt face your blued action has. If it is for a .473" (.30-06 and most other "standard" calibers), then you could build a .280 Rem on it.

Nearly any gunsmith who is competent to install a barrel can also blue the barrel and action. You'll just need to shop around.

But get ready to spend some money. Custom barrels are expensive to buy and expensive to have chambered, installed, headspaced, and blued. An aftermarket plastic stock isn't all that expensive, but a nice custom stock will rip off a hip pocket. If a custom rifle is what you want and you're able to pay for it, then that's fine. But remember, you'll NEVER get as much back out of a custom rifle if you wish to sell it as you put into it. In fact, though certainly very nice, the inheritance of the two fine Sako actions may turn out to be the "gift that keeps on taking".:(

paulsonconstruction likes this.
  3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Now I know why Stone enjoys "mentoring" me into more L461/AI actions.

I guess turnabout is fair play.....huh? :) :)

OTOH.....they will fit nicely into some deluxe stocks I've squirreled away over the years. :)

4. Coleman Cowboy

Coleman Cowboy Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Welcome Byron!

Stonecreek speaks the truth regarding building rifles and spending money to do so. I've done it on multiple occasions and it's incredibly rewarding...but cheap it ain't! Years ago, a very knowledgeable gun writer said something to the effect that (regarding building custom guns), "There's a simple test to see if you're ready to build a custom gun. Take two one hundred dollar bills and place them on the table in front of you. Set fire to one of them. If you're planning on exhibition grade wood or fine engraving, set fire to the other one. If you can do that, you're a prime candidate for a custom build".

That being said, I'll also admit to being jealous of your two actions and all the potential that they represent. You're gonna have fun!

Mark