Another expensive Sako-Mannlicher on GB

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by icebear, Jul 21, 2020.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    This auction closed a few days ago on Gunbroker. A 591 in 7mm-08 with a full-length Mannlicher-style stock, looked in nice shape, for $2375. I thought about bidding, but decided I didn't want it that badly. Mannlichers are definitely bringing a premium.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/873771451

Rogan Kinnear and gowyo like this.

2. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    She's a pretty gall

3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Wow! I thought I overpaid for my AII until I saw this. (I wonder where it would have ended if I hadn't gone with the 'buy it now' option.) That is brand new Bavarian 85 pricing. Congrats to the buyer, I completely understand...beautiful carbine. (Envious of that rear sight! ;))

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think that the caliber, which is scarce in a Sako, was as much the driver of price as the Mannlicher configuration. The combination of scarce caliber + Mannlicher is an attractive one.

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I agree that the caliber is a major factor, but a sporter in that caliber would be a $1000-1200 gun. I recently bought an AV sporter in 7x64, an even rarer caliber, for around $1200-1300. The same seller had a Mannlicher in the same caliber; it went for somewhere around $3200. As you say, it's the combination that runs up the price. I kind of regret not bidding on the recent gun, but I wasn't all that excited about it being a 591 as opposed to an A series. The combination would be a superb combination for hunting.