• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Another Critter With An Old Gun And Cast Bullets

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

kirkbridgershooters

Chasing these critters around with old guns and iron sights makes the hunt more worthwhile. I spent the morning spotting for deer and seeing a few. I did get within range of a nice 4 point, but he took off at the last second and went around a hill.

I followed where he went, got distracted and had to go back in search of him. I found this buck bedded and snuck up on him from the downwind side to about 100 yards. I stuck the rifle over the ridge, he caught the movement and stood up. I shot him through the heart and liver with a 180 grain grease groove round nose bullet...

Chasing these critters around with old guns and iron sights makes the hunt more worthwhile. I spent the morning spotting for deer and seeing a few. I did get within range of a nice 4 point, but he took off at the last second and went around a hill.

I followed where he went, got distracted and had to go back in search of him. I found this buck bedded and snuck up on him from the downwind side to about 100 yards. I stuck the rifle over the ridge, he caught the movement and stood up. I shot him through the heart and liver with a 180 grain grease groove round nose bullet...

wow, look at the neck on him, built like a tank. beautiful old 94.

Nice buck. You must have one hell of a big freezer, judging from the hunting pictures you've posted!

Kirk, thanks for sharing with us. What caliber is that rifle? Wayne

The rifle is a model Winchester 1894, 32-40 takedown. I am shooting 180 grain cast bullets in it with 16 grains of 5744 powder. Not hot, but deadly when aimed right. It is pictured between a 25-35 and a 30-30 for comparison. I also included a picture of the cartridge and the bullet I shoot in it...

thumbnail_IMG_8049.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8050.jpg

Thanks for posting the rifle and ammo information. I was wondering what caliber would use a 180-grain lead bullet. Too big for .30-30; too small for .38-55. I'd always thought of .32-40 as a target cartridge in single shot rifles, but obviously it can be effective on game with the right load.

Thanks for posting the rifle and ammo information. I was wondering what caliber would use a 180-grain lead bullet. Too big for .30-30; too small for .38-55. I'd always thought of .32-40 as a target cartridge in single shot rifles, but obviously it can be effective on game with the right load.

You are right, the 32-40 started out several years earlier as a chambering in single shot target rifles...

Back