Another Aussie for the Club from Queensland Australia

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by nitro01, Jun 27, 2019.

1. nitro01

nitro01 Member

Country Flag:
    Azerbaijan
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I found the Sako Club site whilst trying to find details of a 'strange' SMLE rifle with a Sako .243 barrel and soon learnt that it sort of qualified as a Sako from this sites members. Luckily I have a Sako L461 purchased new in 1972 in .222 magnum so hope I am accepted. I also have a Tikka M55 in .308 which I purchased in 1984 second hand which I am told is out of the back door of the Sako factory. I have a working collection of firearms in that I use them all for hunting feral pigs and dingoes out west. Due to my age (67) I have had to buy a lighter rifle for walking river country and settled on a new .308 Mauser 18 as I need a light plastic gun with a 10 shot magazine (which is untried). So we shall see in a few weeks how it works on a mob of running hogs. All the best nitro01

Norway.375 likes this.

2. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello nitro01. Welcome to the club. One nice thing about this Club is that you do not need to own Sakos to qualify for membership. A serious interest in Sakos and a willingness to share helpful information is all we ask. You already have the start of a Sako collection. It grows on you. Have good luck with those feral hogs. Parts of our country are also being overrun with them. Sakojim.

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    First, welcome to the group. Second, the story on your Tikka sounds like a somewhat garbled version of history. At the time your rifle was built, Sako and Tikka were separate companies. The Tikka works was in Tikkakoski. They later merged, and Tikka rifles are now make in the same factory in Riihimäki with Sako.

4. nitro01

nitro01 Member

Country Flag:
    Azerbaijan
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Thank you for your welcome to the club icebear. Is always good to hear the real story about rumour advice as with the back door of the Sako factory and Tikka. You are obviously an aviator from your photo. I have just included a couple of photos of a crashed U.S. WW2 bomber located a few hours from me. It went down during the war but was only discovered around 1994. You need a 4 x 4 to get there but worth the effort as is a very moving scene. If you want to look it up the plane was the "Beautiful Betsy". All the best nitro.

Attached Files:

5. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks for posting the photos. WWII crash sites are interesting historical markers. I've hiked to one crash site of a Japanese Zero fighter on Guadalcanal and dived on several American and Japanese aircraft in Iron Bottom Sound. Seeing these crashed aircraft really underlines the intensity of the Pacific war. At the Zero site there was even a loose piece of aluminum with a bullet hole in it. Nobody would have cared if I had taken it with me, but I decided to leave it in place.

I am an aviator, of sorts, but the photo is the result of a piece of luck. I have a private pilot's ticket with Single Engine Land and Glider ratings, but I've never been able to do much with it because of my diplomatic career and other interests. The photo was taken in a C-130 over the jungle in Liberia. I was in Monrovia inspecting the American Embassy and I happened to get in a conversation with an American who was flying on contract to the UN. He invited a couple of us to go for a ride, and I got to fly the airplane. We were flying a food drop mission in the interior, to supply a village that had been cut off by the civil war that was going on at the time.

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Tikka/Sako relationship can be confusing. Tikka and Sako were completely separate firearms manufacturers in Finland (another Finnish manufacturer is Valmet and there was one more which made a rifle called the Lakeland IIRC ).

Tikka and Sako did collaborate on at least one project when they were separate companies, a multi-lug bolt, medium-action rifle which both companies produced and Sako sold a very few of under the designation "L581". The history behind this collaboration is unclear.

The Beretta corporation bought both Tikka and Sako and eventually closed the Tikka factory and consolidated the manufacture of both at the Sako factory in Riihimaki.

Before Tikka marketed firearms under its own name in the U.S. they produced "private label" rifles for Ithaca ("LSA 55" and "LSA 65"). Due to Tikka's current status as co-owned with Sako, some people refer to the Ithaca rifles as "made by Sako". This, of course, isn't the case since there was no connection between the two companies at the time the Ithaca's were produced other than their being located in the same country (and both producing accurate rifles.)

7. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Valmet is a Finnish acronym for "State Metal Works." It was formed in 1946 from several state-owned enterprises, including VKT, the "State Rifle Factory." Valmet is still around, making industrial equipment for the paper and pulp industries, but it is no longer owned by the Finnish government. Valmet also used to make a highly regarded line of farm tractors. The firearms division was spun off to Sako in 1986. Sako acquired Tikka in 1983 and was bought by Beretta in 2000.

The Lakelander rifles were produced by Tampereen Asepaja (Tampere Arms Works). TAP converted military Mosin-Nagants for civilian use after WWII and later developed its own line of high-quality hunting rifles. They are seldom seen in the United States. The Lakelander name was later also used for Swedish-made hunting rifles.