Short Actions An L461 in 222 shows up

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by barreltwister, Aug 23, 2021.

1. barreltwister

barreltwister Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    Acquired this one from a dealer last week.
    Looks pretty much untouched.
    I received it the day before I left on vacation and will check it over more closely when I get back.
    I'm thinking it's about 1967.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

icebear, Old Hippie and ricksengines like this.

2. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi BT,
    Looks like a winner.
    You can not do that over, just walk into a dealer n pick up a Sako, they get snapped up pretty quick, especially one in that condition, keep us posted on how it goes.
    Cheers, Jay

3. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Very nice barreltwister, and the rear ladder sight is a bonus.

4. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Very nice L461!
    The Sako’s from Down Under always interested me , they seem to almost defy all identifying parameters in comparison to what we have here in the States.

The rifle pictured here shows three point checkering patterns both on the grip and forearm, which is what one would expect to see on a rifle of this vintage. Then low and behold…it has a black plastic grip cap with white liner but no Bofors stamping.
    The rear ladder sight shows up as a norm with Rifles marketed in Europe and Australia, leaving the US imports without them due to the non interest requests for scope clearances.
    Not to mention the slight mechanical variations such as bolt shroud dimensions.
    Another amazing thing for me is how many 7x33’s and 25/20’s seem to appear in the hands of the Australian Sakohaulic fan base!!
    It’s awesome!
    Congratulations on a great find Mr Twister!!

Edit: um..noticed just seconds ago..Mr. Twister is from Canada…which now adds even more curiosity to it all. As recently quoted in another post …”to assume..makes an……….”
    Apologies in advance! :rolleyes:

Bloo

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  5. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Looks like the tops of the dove tails are smooth. If they are( hard to tell from picture) the rear sight would be typical of the model 72. I think this is the first 461 (72) I have seen. Nice find, Jim

Old Hippie likes this.
  6. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Thank Jim for that reminder! The 72’s did come with rear sights. I don’t think they had the vintage style plastic cap tho…the later 72’s did have a thicker cap.

Bloo

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I would guess later due to the three-point checkering pattern on the forearm, which isn't seen until the early 70's. A 1967 rifle would have a Bofors-marked barrel and probably an "s"-shaped floorplate release.

Also, it is not a Model 72 which would have a smooth plastic grip cap instead of the checkered one on this model -- and would have two-point checkering on both the forearm and PG. The ladder sight would make it one probably originally distributed in the European market -- but some of those may certainly have been sent to Canada. By the way, I think that the ladder sights on a Model 72 were only calibrated to 300 yards (meters?), while the European ladder sights went up to 500(?).

It appears beautifully preserved and is a great find. I've never run across a Sako .222 that didn't shoot "lights out".

Old Hippie likes this.
  8. barreltwister

Country Flag:
    Canada
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

It does have the checkered receiver tops.

It has the old L46 style extractor.

There is a dealer in Canada that has imported many Sakos from Europe in recent years.

There's a very good chance this one came in to Canada via this dealer. (tradex)

While the ladder sight is "cool", I'd rather not have it as it gets in the way of scope mounting as can be seen by this pic from the dealer.

[​IMG]

These screws may not have been removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yep, that can be a problem. You can use a short scope with a straight tube like a 1-4 or 1.5-5X to avoid that problem. If you want a "varminting" type scope then the sight almost has to be removed. Also, the old Leupold "Compact" line in 2-7X will fit to the rear of the sight and won't place the eyepiece too far aft.

10. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Another possibility may be a VX3 2.5-8x36, I have used them successfully on models with rear sights. The Burris Mini is another fine choice…bloo

11. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Agree - I have used both of these scopes and recommend them highly. Here's the 3-9x Burris Mini on an L461:
    Carbine+Burris 1.JPG

As you can see, the bell is very short and it will fit nicely behind the sight. Eye relief is a bit less forgiving than the equivalent Leupold, but it just takes a bit of practice to get your head position right. There's also a 4-12x Mini but I don't think it would fit behind the sight. It would most likely require high rings.
    Audette 1.JPG

12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's been my experience with the Burris minis -- very critical eye position, not only in terms of relief (distance), but also laterally the "eye box" is very tight. They are a nice, short, compact scope but I shy away from them because of the critical eye placement.

kevinlg and paulsonconstruction like this.
  13. caberslash

caberslash Active Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Orkney
    Unless you have bad eyesight, just use the irons.

The .222 isn't a cartridge I'd want to shoot at 300 meters or more anyway (yes, I know some claim to have a degree of accuracy with a .22LR at such distances, but I digress...)

OK, the ladder sights don't look as nice to use as the dovetail mounted aperture peep sight, but you'd be wrong to ruin a good rifle over it!

The early Sako's were made to be shot, and I don't understand why they should ever be cabinet queens! 'New in box, never fired' is a phrase that makes me sick, especially if true!

14. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
  15. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
  16. Bernie’s Dad

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    We aren’t in Kansas anymore Toto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Good grief, Charlie Brown! And note the location of the link posted by Bloo - "Greater China." The photo looks like a Leupold, slightly retouched to get rid of the trademarks. Another fine product of the Hoo Flung Poo Precision Optical Instrument and Storm Door Company.

Old Hippie likes this.
  18. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Lol!
    I think a may have replaced a couple of their storm doors!

Bloo

19. Bernie’s Dad

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
  20. barreltwister

Country Flag:
    Canada
    Been on vacation on the west coast and Vancouver Island.

I do have unmounted 2.5-8 gloss and 1.5-4 Leupolds that I will try and fit once I get home in a few days.

By the way...my son and I went to a Vancouver gun store last week and I was shocked at the quantity of L and A series Sakos on the used rack.

Like an AV FibreClass in 375 H&H, probably 95%, with a 3X Leupold in Sako rings for $1299 CDN

A 5 digit L61R in 7 Rem Mag, probably 95%, bare rifle...$999 CDN

An AIII Deluxe in 270 Win, well used but not abused, with a Vari-X II 3-9 for $1249 CDN

There were at least 3 or 4 more.

I may go back to the store before I leave Vancouver....LOL