An Arizona Surprise

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Mar 13, 2021.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Woke up this morning to a big surprise - several inches of snow on the ground! Perhaps needless to say, this does not happen often in Tucson, Arizona. Yesterday the temperature was in the 60's. I'm at the foot of the Catalina Mountains, a few miles out of town and a few hundred feet above most of the city. According to the radio, it's raining at lower elevations. I'm grateful for water in any form, rain or snow. We've been having a very dry winter following a near- total failure of the summer monsoon, so the snow is welcome.

Apologies for the off-topic post, but I couldn't resist.

Here's my house at 8:00 this morning.
    House Front.JPG

And here's the back yard. You can just see the roofline of the workshop in the center.
    Shop.JPG

This is the giant agave in my front yard. I thought it looked kind of cool with the snow. It really doesn't belong in a narrow space like that. Those agaves get quite a bit bigger, and when they bloom, they send up a stalk 20-30 feet in the air. Then they die, leaving the stalk and an enormous pile of dead leaves. The original owner was from Ohio, and didn't know anything about desert plants. He planted agaves and saguaros in several places they should not be.
    Agave 2.JPG

And this is what the house normally looks like. This is an old photo, taken a couple of years after I planted the Desert Willow you see in the other picture. The tree has grown a bit.
    HouseFront_0907a.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    susanna, deergoose, FLT and 2 others like this.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Denver and surrounding areas are supposed to get hammered this weekend.

3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Beautiful place Icebear. It's easier to track scorpions in the snow I hear. I'm in Casper, we've been waiting for our Spring snows so the other half of WY doesn't burn this year. CV is right we are going to get it this weekend. 8-12" here, much more going South. We might see some flooding of Laramie to Ft. Collins after this starts to melt in the burn areas.

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The hardware stores here sell special UV flashlights for finding scorpions. They glow in the dark under UV light. I've lived here 17 years and only been stung once.

gowyo likes this.
  5. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Love the house and really love the scenery. I lived in southeast New Mexico for about 10 years and thought I got used to living with scorpions and centipedes until I moved to Tulsa OK. Our house was on a rock ledge in an area of rocky hilly terrain and we discovered what living with centipedes and scorpions was really like. After living there a few months and being awaken several times at night by centipedes crawling across my face, I hired the best bug man I could find to spray the inside and outside of the house. At a minimum, he treated it twice a year.....more if my wife saw a live one in the house. Even with spraying, they still would make it into the house and then die.

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I seem to remember that was the opening scene of an early James Bond movie. Bond was asleep in bed when a giant centipede crawled over his face. Or maybe it was a scorpion, but my memory says centipede.

7. coldspring

coldspring Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Louisiana
    Beautiful house- I love the desert

8. cwmech

cwmech Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    icebear, CV, gowyo,

it appears that the 10-12" estimate was a wee bit short, this 26" from Saturday-Sunday on top of Wednesdays 10" shut down everyone's plans,
    guess it's time to finish the sidewalk digout, and get to the shop to digout there. DIA reporting 27". Definitely helped w/ fire hazard.

9. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Oh yah,

We got 27" on top of the 10-14" from Wed.