Short Actions AI .223 with Angled Stock Forend

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by antsa, Jan 12, 2021.

1. antsa

antsa Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU South Australia
    My next door neighbour is throwing in the towel. He has chosen not to renew his licence and to sell his two rifles. He only had them for putting down stock and otherwise has no interest in firearms. One of the rifles is a AI in .223 Rem. The serial number starts with165 which I think puts in the late 1970s or early 1980s bracket. It has a sporter barrel with iron sights (which have been removed and gone missing!).

A few things about it are the stock has a thin black butt pad with a white line and the fore end is of the angled "Weatherby" type, the bolt has a very nice knurled nob and the the serial number and proof mark is followed by an italic styled RS or PS.

Does anyone have any info on this style of AI. I myself have one in .222 but it has a "normal" stock and an orange butt pad.

Will post a pic tonight.

Cheers

2. antsa

antsa Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU South Australia
    A few pics. The barrel is 60cm, floated (no pressure point) and the palm swell is minimal. It's a lovely rifle to shoulder. Get to shoot it tomorrow. I will not be buying it as I already have two .223's and the powers that be in my neck of the woods will not allow me a third of the same calibre.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That's what happens when bureaucrats and politicians have the power to tell people what's good for them. I love Australia, been there several times, but I'm glad I live here, for as long as our Second Amendment rights last. I imagine the authorities in Oz would be deeply offended by my seven .222's and three each of .222 Magnum and .300 H&H. And, of course, I'd be in jail for my collection of "assault rifles," unless I tossed them into a billabong. It's not Banjo Paterson country any more. Makes me feel sad.

Henry Percy and susanna like this.
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The AI stock pictured is an earlier one than your rifle. The later AI's with the solid recoil pad had what was called the "Hunter" style stock with the palm swell grip & a rounded forearm tip. Both stocks are "normal" for their time of production.

5. Henry Percy

Henry Percy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I've posted here in two other threads. I just bot my first Sako, in .222 Magnum. Does anyone have any pet loads they would like to point me towards? Near as I can tell, the twist rate is about 1/16". Does that mean nothing heavier than 55 gr? It will be my rockchuck gun.

Thanks

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I haven't done any reloading for a while, but I've gotten excellent accuracy out of two different Sako .222 Magnums with Nosler's 50-grain factory load. It's fairly expensive and not always available, and I have no idea of price and availability with the current ammo situation, but it's a super performer. The group shown measures 3/4", or half that without the flyer on the left. As I recall, I was having trouble with horizontal dispersion with all my rifles that day - I don't remember if it was me or the wind. That rifle had given me a lot of trouble finding the right load and the Nosler just dropped right in. The same load also shoots sub-MOA in my L469 sporter.

Sako 222 Mag HB001.jpg
    L461-222MagHB-1.JPG

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You'll enjoy your Sako .222 Magnum. I own two of them (a Deluxe and an HB) and both are very accurate. Any load for the .223 is a good starting place for the .222 Magnum. I've used almost exclusively H-335 (or the surplus counterpart WC-844) in mine mostly with 52-55 grain bullets, but there are plenty of other powders that will do as well. The twist rate should be more like 1-14", but it's sometimes difficult to measure twist rate accurately. Regardless, unless you try to use some of those "black gun" bullets of 65 grains or more you should have excellent accuracy from your new (to you) Sako.

8. Henry Percy

Henry Percy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona