Advice on possible rebarrel of L57

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Lynn Rider, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Lynn Rider

Lynn Rider Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    I recently found a L57 in 243 at a gun show. The gun appeared to have been shot quite a bit and hot rodded as the bolt face showed flame erosion around the primer. The wood and metal were in very good condition. I contacted the vender after the show and inquired about using my bore scope to inspect the bore. (His business is about 40 miles away). He was agreeable and I made the drive to his shop. I found that the bore was in bad condition, heat checked and eroded for 4 to 6 inches. My questions are 1) would it be sacrilege to rebarrel the gun. 2) Is there a source for Sako replacement barrels. 3) dollar value of the gun to use as a build.
    Thanks,
    Lynn Rider
    P.S. For some reason the gun keeps calling me back!

2. dodgyrog

dodgyrog Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
    I bought an L46 in 22 Hornet with a ruined bore from corrosive primers. I'm having it bored out and a liner fitted. This is a compromise I know, but I keep the original barrel and I will be able to shoot it

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I'd shoot it first. Looks aren't always an indicator of how a barrel shoots. If it still shoots within your acceptable accuracy requirements, save yourself the time & expense. If not, a liner will keep the "factory" look but maybe not the accuracy you expect. Reboring to a 6.5 or 30 caliber suitable to the L57 action or rebarreling is another way to go. Rebarreling is not sacrilege by any means. I rebarreled a L57 to 6.5 Creedmoor because the 308 barrel shot 8" groups & couldn't be happier. We are not talking about guns worth tens of thousands of dollars here. It's yours so do what makes you happy as it's dollar value, in the grand scheme of things, hardly qualifies as a determining factor. BTW, if you rebarrel with one that matches the contour of the original, you can screw it back on later if it's important for you to save the "original" value.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Be aware that the L57 uses a somewhat unique barrel thread (different from the L579). You can find specs for it in the Frank Barnes book "Bolt Action Rifles. Be sure that your gunsmith is prepared to cut those particular threads as you won't be able to use a pre-threaded barrel.