Action Lengths of the Various Sako 85 Actions

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by South Pender, Jun 17, 2019.

1. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Does anyone know the actual action lengths (in mm. or inches) of the 6 Sako 85 actions? I'm trying to determine what scopes will work (with respect to ring spacing) with the differing action lengths. The designations that Sako uses are XS, S, M, SM, L, and XL.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019

2. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I guess the most useful measurement would be the length from end of the rear dovetail to the beginning of the front. IE the ejection port opening. Here's what I found: XS 57, S 74, SM 74, M 85, L 94, XL 94 millimeters. It's funny how in the promo pictures all 6 receivers are different lengths. Somebody has taken little bit of artistic license.

South Pender and ricksengines like this.
  3. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Thanks for that P04R. Is the attached picture the one you're referring to? I wonder whether the lengths of the receiver ring and bridge are the same for all action lengths (with only the ejection ports differing in length)? Hard to tell from the picture attached, where it looks as if all but the XS receiver ring and bridge lengths might be the same.

Attached Files:

4. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    That's the picture, though I remember seeing one where the step up is perfectly equal for all six. I might remember wrong.

Looks like the rear bridge varies in length but I'm pretty sure the rear dovetail is always the same since the optilock basemount always covers the whole dovetail. Front dovetails are all the same with the exception of XS.

5. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Yes, I think you're right. The rear tang may be a bit longer on the L and XL actions, but the length of the dovetail appears to be pretty similar for all but maybe the XS action.