Accuracy recipes for Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .223?

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by maximus otter, Apr 3, 2019.

1. maximus otter

maximus otter Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Cambridgeshire
    I've just picked up a new-to-me Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .223 with a 1:8 twist barrel.

[​IMG]

I'm looking for an accuracy recipe using the following components. Please note that these are givens; suggestions using other components are of no use to me:

Lapua Match brass
    CCI BR4 benchrest primers
    Vihtavuori N133 (or N140) powder

Initial results seem to indicate that the Tikka likes the Berger 52 grain HP bullet, so a tip that includes that as an ingredient would be particularly welcome.

Seating depth is of particular interest to me, considering Tikka's eccentric mag design...

maximus otter

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    No one can give you a "magic formula" for YOUR rifle. What shoots in SOMEONE ELSE'S rifle is totally irrelevant with regard to how it will shoot on YOUR rifle. What YOUR rifle will like the best is UP TO YOU to determine by experimenting with powder charge & type, bullet weight & type, & OAL. The recommendations found in any reloading manual is a much better & safer approach to start with. Sorry, there are no short cuts.

3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Limiting yourself to so few of your starting components puts you in a hole right off the start. With that 1 in 8 twist that 223 is going to perform better with bullets at 65g's or heavier. I would even say start at a good 68 g bullet and a powder that works in that area. If you are looking at shooting varmints pick a slug accordingly.

4. pentzer

pentzer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Idaho
    Hi, I have a Sako 75 with a 8 inch twist. The 52 gr. HPBT match bullets ahead of 28 gr of CFE 223 powder works very well for me. I have used Sierras, Speer, Hornady, all with good results.

5. chip sayers

chip sayers Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I dont want to start he 5.56 ammo in a 223 rem...but people do shoot pressures near or above recomended...i just got 85 varmint in 223 and will start load development soon..have loaded 233 for years with 25 g h335....and 55g nossler ballustic tips....but with faster twist want to try to work up the 77g mk..ok...here it is...has anyone used the black hills 5.56 m262 nato round...or..i dont want to blow up ur thread just wondering if anyone has worked up the 223 in 77g mk's...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019