Abstained use of a L61R

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Clay, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Clay

Clay Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hello group,

I have a L61r Sn 58XXX , it does not say Bofors steel, it has no import markings, it has the third lug on the bolt, the checkering on the action is fine. I have owned this rifle for about 20 years and I purchased it from the original owner. I have the original rings, but no box. It is chambered in 7mm rem mag. It is in unfired condition. I acquired Tikka M65 deluxe around the same time and it became my hunter. The reality of life is the Tikka, and the other rifles I hunt with, are the rifles I love the most and would never part with. I am curious what my abstinence with the Sako has netted me. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Clay

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Very little! L61R's in a common caliber like the 7mm Rem Mag don't have much "collector" interest. Condition does affect market value, but as "shooters" the difference between one in good to very good condition & one in excellent condition is minimal. I just saw a NIB AIII (successor to the L61R) in 7mm Rem Mag sell about three weeks ago at a local estate auction for $900. That's not anymore than what I've seen ones that were used & had a few dings sell for. Your's just doesn't have what trips some buyers trigger, so to speak. Certain calibers, the "Bofors" stamp, Deluxe models, etc, will bring a slight premium, but in the end it's worth what a guy standing in front of you will reach in his pocket for. Abstinence is not fun anyway. Go shoot the darn thing.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Great condition always helps the value of any gun, whether it is a common "shooter" or a rare "collector". But as Paulson indicates, the difference in your Finnbear in "rarely fired" condition and one that has been hunted with but treated well is not very significant.

Of course, it will sell quicker and bring more money than a similar one in good shooting condition but with some dings and scratches, but the difference is in the range of 10 or 15%, not double or triple.

4. Clay

Clay Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I should have mentioned it is a Deluxe. Just to confirm, the serial number, three lug bolt, no import marking, places it production prior to '72 correct? I understand the Bofors marking was removed about '69 ?

Attached Files:

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Same auction a Deluxe AIII in 270 Win, NIB, went for $1025, but I've seen Deluxes sell for a few hundred higher. No import stamp means it was imported before the Gun Control Act of 1968 went into effect or it was brought in by an individual. LBJ signed the GCA of 68 in Oct., but the import stamp probably wasn't implemented until late 68 or early 69. "Bofors" went away sometime in 68. Based on the serial number, which is always shaky with any Sako, I would "guess" your rifle was imported in the time frame between the Bofors stamp being dropped & the import stamp requirement going into effect.

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    . . . or, lots of those were brought home by U.S. service men returning from Europe.

A Deluxe model benefits a bit more than a standard model from being in pristine condition. I might raise my premium range for a "rarely fired" Deluxe to the 15-20% range. But the price a Deluxe brings will be much more dependent on how the potential buyer views the quality of the wood figure.