About valuation posts on the forum!

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by L61R, Jul 26, 2012.

1. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    To new and old members of Sako Collectors Club!

A frequent question asked on the forum board is ”What is my rifle worth?”.

This is an almost impossible question to answer for many reasons.

First, we are an international forum with members from all over the globe and prices vary from location to location. What is true in Australia isn´t neccessary the same as in Europe or USA.

Condition of the rifle in question is another parameter important to value and it is impossible for us at the forum to judge condition from pics and descriptions no matter how good and accurate they are.

There are also many other important parameters like caliber, model and scarcity plus a few more.

The best way to find out about your rifle is to use the search function and scan our forum for information. We have loads of good information hidden here so knock yourself out!

Another way is to visit internet auction sites, dealer websites and search engines like Google.

For example, if you are living in North America use sites like Gunbroker or Auction Arms or similar. You´ll find what you need there.
    But make sure you search for realized prices. Asking prices is one thing but you should go for what the rifles actually sold for.

If you choose to ask about your rifles on the forum board you must do so in the new Valuation section placed in the General section. If you place your questions elsewhere they will be moved without notice.

Finally, to do a proper valuation one must actually see the rifle in question and weigh in all the local parameters mentioned above and use ones own Sako experience. Everything else will only be educated guesses without real value in the end.

Remember! A rifle is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay so you won´t know what your rifle really is worth until you have sold it!

Good luck!

Jim aka L61R

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    :yo:

I agree with all Jim says above!

I often will respond to a query about price with my best guess, but I also caution the person I am advising that my advice is guaranteed to be worth only what he paid for it:noidea:!

Then there is the question of which price you mean:

Retail, where the store lets you see it in the flesh, handle it, maybe disassemble it, and they stand behind it and will give you a full refund just because you decide you don't want it?

Individual-to-individual, where the seller doesn't expect retail and the buyer doesn't expect a "distress sale" price?

Or, "don't leave that one behind" where a seller is under financial or time pressure and is willing to sell low for a quick turnover and won't take the item back regardless of defects later found.

And what time of the year is it? Hunting rifles nearly always sell best in the last one-third of the year.

There is no one "right" price since there is always a fairly sizable range in what willing buyers and willing sellers will pay/will take. And you'll find differing demand for various calibers according to what part of the country/world you're in. For instance, big bores are slow movers in the southern U.S., but in Alaska a .338 or .375 is hot stuff.

But even if you pay "full retail" for a Sako, compare its resale value ten years later to that of a car, a television set, or a boat purchased at the same time and see which one did the best job of preserving your net worth.

3. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Stone!

I take a bow!:bow:

Jim

4. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Glad to see the Valuation area in the general thread section, I think it's important for newbies to the Sako world to have a place where they can discuss the value of their rifles. Granted you may need a thick skin, but hey...that's part of it!

5. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Its all about money isn't it collecting involves alot of money this discussion is not a silly one in the world of collecting. Sako rifles are not cheap and prices are important topics I guess the only disappointing thing is when one off posters come on and use the site for one off price hunting ideas and possible customers spruiking members that is something that needs to be kept in check. But discussion by long serving and committed collector on price should be fine. Alot of posts lately searching for price advice have been oppurtunistic sign ups looking for one price advise they can easily get from auction sites. But I suspect they have ulterior motives which is not what this club is all about, but i guess alot of member are aware and respond accordingly. - *******

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Guess it depends on your perspective. I feel that if it's "all about money" then you are missing the whole point. Those that focus on what something is worth are more than likely just feeding their ego & probably don't understand a "true" collectors motivation or passion. As has been said, it is IMPOSSIBLE to value a rifle over the forum! Having something of true quality & uniqueness that one can use & enjoy is hard to put a price tag on. The rifles that we love are no longer made & of a limited supply & the free market is establishing their value. So, they cost what they cost. I think the moderators are right in that it is easy to find out what the market is for these rifles & our forum shouldn't be used as forum of value & greed. It's much nicer to share knowledge & camaraderie than talk about "money". The PM system is there for the deal making.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  7. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    All of us were new to forums at one time or another. I have spent a great deal of time thinking about the valuation subject posted by relative strangers to the forum and some of them on their first post. My gut feeling about most of them is that they want to be forum participants but ask these questions to break the ice with those of us more established. I say to them please post and tell us a bit about your Sako rifles and yourselves, you don't have to break the ice any special way. I would much rather help someone that really needs help. Just my 2 cents on this subject.-Misako

8. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    When I say it’s all about the money I mean that on a superficial level "it takes money and usually lots of it to join the club when buying an early sako in a collectable grade will cost over $1000 in any country" so members are forking out some serious money when they are collecting 10 rifles plus" on a philosophical level yes the rifle and its uniqueness and camaraderie is great but you usually need to fork out some cash first. And as misako says that’s a beginners first port of call. "The How much is it worth question isn't a rude question" and the beginners use it as a stepping stone. Let’s not be so stuck up and prudent. Having said that I can understand where member are coming from when they find it irritating to deal with cost question maybe they feel they are being poached.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    edd,

There have been some good posts in this thread. The "Valuation Corner" Topic was started to compile all of the like "value" question postings in one area. Gosh, can you imagine that a question someone has might be the same as someone else had a month ago? Maybe they are looking at the same rifle on an auction site?

As a MOD, I am going to move every such "what's this, and what's it worth?" post to this area. Further questions from the same inquiry can be migrated to where it is most appropriate. We would not have to go to such an effort if folks would just follow the simple guidelines set up in the forum in the first place (recommended and agreed to when becoming a member). It's a matter of forum etiquette not to randomly plaster a non pertinent post in any section you please. There is also a reference section with a ton of information on these very same questions and an equal amount of topics where most things fit in. What's the problem, then? Everyone's in a hurry. Gotta know it now 'cause someone else might buy it.

So, let's get this value business off of the "Wall Street" level. "Philosophical" - really? To suggest you have to pay to be in "the club"? At what level do you start? 10 $500 SAKO's, or one $30,000 SAKO? You don't have to own a SAKO to join this forum. This forum is about SAKO and it's rifles and other arms it has been a part of; Not how many you own. By they way, it's "stuck up and prudish" - not "prudent". I've had no complaints from new members on where to properly post items where the majority people are likely to see them. Its actually in their best interest.

So, let's show a little respect to the founder of the forum for trying to make this place as user-friendly as possible. Welcome to the new "Valuation Corner".

If you don't like the way things are going around here may I suggest you start a BLOG. The Admin and Mods will read Blog comments and we are more than open to suggestions to improve the site.

How much better can it get? It's far more than you pay for.

S-A

10. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thank for the english lesson and I said in my post that I do agree with most of the sentiments of the anti valuation discussion groups all I was saying is that its alittle "prudish" to control every post comment posted I dont think it distorts the site objectives, but obviously it does. Censorship is an interesting area of discussion in itself. And I am sure all site members own sakos that have cost "money". ANd I am not disputing the site originator L61r merely contributing to discussions on the topics, I hope we dont want members to be fearful of making a comment that the up level dont wish to hear because of retribution. Anyway its been and interesting exercise in understanding. - *******

11. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    *******:
    Chill out a little, mate! I think you are misunderstanding the moderators & their concerns. As an example, recently a young man inquired about the market value of a L579 Varmint that he saw in a gun store and was considering purchasing. He educated himself enough to know the Model #, what the approximate value was and that it was a very fine rifle. He told us the asking price & gave a brief description & wanted to know if the price was within what we thought was market value. Several of us responded, myself included, with some rough price parameters for that model in dollars ("Money") & some basic background. He ended up buying the rifle for the asking price & was delighted. He responded back with pictures & you could tell from his posts that he was tickled to death & truly appreciated the rifle & the input he receive here. I think we have gain a good member. Kind of made me feel good. Do you remember your first SAKO!!! A few days later, there was a post from a guy that was given a Sako by a relative. He thought it was a L579, but it was actually a Model 75. He freely admitted he did not hunt or have any interest in Sakos. He asked us to tell him what it was worth so he could decide whether to keep it or "dump it"(his own words). He could easily have done some research elsewhere to find out what he had & what rough market value was, but decide it was easier to use our forum as a baiting ground. Do you see the difference? You are a good & contributing member & the moderators are enforcing the "Terms & Conditions" you agreed to when you joined. Calling it censorship is a little over the top. Let's all work together to keep this forum the great place it is.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  12. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Ok fair enough lets forget about the issue its obviously been misunderstood and I have no interest in arguing a point I care little about.
    Sorry if I have pissed members off but I too have been misunderstood some how.

13. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    All!

Thanks a lot for all your input here!!

I would like to add a few things to the discussion before we move over to other things.

The main reason for this new section is to compile all valuation questions in one place. This makes it easier for all to find posts about values instead of searching through all forums.
    An example: If a new member is uncertain of what type of rifle he/she wants to ask about, it will be a daunting task to search through all the forum which is fairly large.

I will also take this opportunity to state that it is NOT about moderation or censoring posts! We take pride in leaving the forum as unmoderated as possible except for profanity, rudeness and a few other things stated in the T&C. From time to time we close threads when discussions transforms into personal discussions of no general interest to the members here. Use the PM system for such activity please!

Finally a few words about forum etiquette and the way we interact here. I am proud of running this forum with all of you amazing people! I have made many new friends here and I know others have done the same.

As you know we are an international forum with over 3000 members from all over the globe. This means we have different perspectives and experiences on many things. Many of us come from countries with other languages than English which can make it difficult to really understand what a post is really about since we only have the written word to deal with. It's often much easier to understand each other in real life when we have body language, intonation of words and facial expressions to lean on.

So my advice here is to not take things too seriously and to cut each other some slack. At the end of the day, what brings us together here is our mutual love and interest for Sako rifles!

I wish you all a fantastic weekend and THANKS for taking part of the SCC!

Jim

14. Jim Edixon

Jim Edixon Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Most want them 1/2 price.