a7

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by lewism, Aug 26, 2018.

1. lewism

lewism Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I am interested in getting a Sako in the a7. there 2 models I looking at. both stainless steel. one is the roughtech pro and the other I think is just a7. differences I could tell is the pro is flutted. and the stock is composite.
    the a7 is not flutted but has synthetic rubber type stock, I'm not too much of fan of this. the pro bit more heavy.
    any other differences between the 2? I was thinking 270 but I finally made mind up to stick to the 308 cause more variety on the bullets

2. lewism

lewism Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    no one?

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Lewis: Not too many folks here have much experience with the current production Sakos as we are mostly interested in older models. I have at least handled an A7 (regular, not pro) and found it to be apparently well-made and several steps above synthetic competitors from Savage, Remington, etc. I think your description of the minor differences in the two models of A7's about says it all. I would opt for the regular at the lower price since it seems to make no sense to pay more for an "entry level" rifle (even though Sako's entry level is much higher in quality than other makes).

I think the greater question is what caliber to buy. There is certainly a lot of overlap between the utility of the .270 and .308, but the .270 is a better round for longer ranges on medium game. The .308 is an excellent shorter to medium range round and is capable of shooting heavier bullets. Thus, your intended usage should guide you at to which caliber to choose.

4. lewism

lewism Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    thanks i appriciate the feedback. friend has the 308 with the smooth barrel. issue i have is i am thinking of the fluted as a option and cost aint much difference. was considering 270 at one point as well but i think i am almost 90% on 308 round,

5. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I bought an A7 stainless for a bargain in .270 WSM mostly because I wanted a lighter rifle mountain rifle in a synthetic stock for foul weather. I own several older classic Sako rifles and was trying to stay loyal to the brand. Turns out this rifle is superbly accurate and I have killed all sort of game with it to ranges beyond 500 yds. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with this platform. The previous comment regarding caliber selection is spot on.