A7 bolt concerns

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by Elkfan, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Elkfan

Elkfan Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Thanks for all the info, everyone. I ended up selling the A7 to a friend. Honestly, I was so amazed at the deep discount for the A7 that I bought it without thinking things through. Even if it had run as I'd hoped, the Roughtech Pro model wasn't a good fit for me. The barrel seemed long and heavy, and I think the standard synthetic stainless would've been a better choice. My friend is confident he can get it running the way he wants.

I'm on the lookout for a good used 75 or 85, hopefully sold by a trustworthy owner who can tell me honestly if there have been any ejection issues or other weird stuff. As far a pre-75 rifles, are there any that you would recommend? I'm also seriously considering a Tikka, although I am shallow and just don't like the looks of them (no offense to anyone who does). I'm not quite ready to give up on the Sako dream.

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The 85’s eject realiably. The issue is, they eject at a higher angle. From what I’ve read, some folks find the spent case sitting on top of the next cartridge to be chambered, thus causing the spent case to interfere in closing the bolt.

This would be unacceptable, but I’ve NEVER had this happen. All three of my 85’s have Sako Optilock Low Ringmounts. All three rifles have Zeiss Conquest scopes. I have no idea why my setups work while others don’t.

You simply cannot go wrong with any vintage Sako, in my opinion. L61R, AIII, AV etc. The challenge is this - finding one in excellent condition takes patience and leg work.

Excellent specimens are just getting tougher to find. You’re not going to walk into every gun shop and find one hanging out on the rack. They are in high demand, but you get exactly what you pay for with regard to quality.

Sako Source at the top of the page would be a great resource to start with. Consider contacting them and tell them what you’re looking for. They may have something now or something coming in soon.

Plan on spending $1000.00 to $1200.00 plus or minus for a standard rifle. A used 85 is typically higher in cost. Be wise and careful on auction sites. There is a lot of misrepresentation going on.

Do not be hasty, or in a hurry. If it’s meant to be, then it’s meant to be. At the same time, if a good one comes along, plan to make a commitment, because it will be gone quick.

Luck be with you.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019