A1 22ppc

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Michael Schmalen, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Michael Schmalen

Michael Schmalen Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I have an A1 22ppc that was handed down to me by my father when he passed away 10 years ago, its just been sitting in my safe since then, and I have never really been able to pinpoint its value. I may be looking to sell it at some point, along with 50 factory loads, 100 reloads, and 250 rounds of once-fired brass. The rifle was first owned by Jim Charmichel of outdoor life as indicated bynthe markings on the invoice and contact slip inside the box. My dad bought it around 20-25 years ago and it we never fired it. Anybody have an idea what this may be worth?

Attached Files:

deergoose likes this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's a nice rifle on the desirable short action (some of the PPC's were built on the "medium" action, which is larger than necessary to accommodate them.) I can't say exactly what it is worth, but if you posted it on an online auction with a starting price of $1,000 you would be certain to get some bids.

If you can decide what you want for it post it here on the forum with a price and you'll probably save the hassle and costs of listing on an auction site.

deergoose likes this.
  3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The PPC chamberings came in sporter, varmint or target. The target versions had a special serial numbering system starting with an A, B, or C then 3 numbers (like B183). These target versions looked like the Varmint model, but had the externally adjustable target trigger &, IIRC, were single shot actions. The Sporter & Varmint (which is what you have) versions were made from the same serial numbered actions as any other AI & had the internal box magazine & standard Sako #4 trigger. I don't have any proof, but I think the 22 PPC was made in fewer numbers than the 6 PPC, based on the numbers you see that come up for sale. It's value would start at where any mint, LNIB, AI Varmint is selling for these days. Check the online auction/sale sites for selling prices. The 22 PPC chambering would add to it's value, as I've seen Sporters much more frequently than Varmints in that caliber. The Carmichel connection, with provenance, surely could also add to it's worth, but defining that amount would be a guess on my part. You have a fairly rare piece, which makes it hard to appraise as finding a comparable is difficult. If it were mine, I would add 10-15% to what I found AI Varmints in a more common caliber, in similar condition selling for. That's just my humble opinion, so don't take it as gospel. What value someone places on the Carmichel connection would be an unknown variable. In the end it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it matching what you are willing to sell it for. If you decide to sell it, it would garner serious interest here. Hopefully you will list it here as a courtesy for any knowledge you gained.

deergoose likes this.
  4. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Interesting rifle and history. That appears to have a benchrest trigger, the long adjustable one ,but I can't visualize any holes in the trigger guard. Is this a single shot receiver or does it have an internal blind magazine? Which I've never heard of on a Sako...

deergoose likes this.
  5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    gowyo eyes are better than mine!! It appears yours has a standard serial number, but a single shot stock/bottom metal like the special numbered PPC single shots. If it has holes in the trigger guard it also has the target trigger. This would make it an unusual configuration that I've not seen before. Sako never stops surprising us! More detailed pics would help.

deergoose and gowyo like this.
  6. Michael Schmalen

Michael Schmalen Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Thanks for the responses guys, I am going to do some more research and I'll likely put it up for sale on here when I find the time.

7. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Michael, please don't leave us with a cliffhanger! Is it a single shot? Does it have the adjustable trigger with the 'Hole-y trigger guard'? Our Sako OCD'ness needs quieting!

Gary

8. Michael Schmalen

Michael Schmalen Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Haha ok ok!, I need to pull it out of the same again. I will check when I have time!

9. Michael Schmalen

Michael Schmalen Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It is in fact a single shot with two holes in the bottom of the trigger guard. I also found that it has a stamp on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the forearm that reads "Imp'd by stoeger inc., n.j." My dad had two of them and the other one belongs to my brother (also may come up for sale), so it might be interesting to pull that one out and show you guys some pics. I really dont know much about these rifles other than my Dad had an almost unhealthy addiction to small caliber sako rifles.

10. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Very cool! So one last question, since your dad had so many small action sakos, is it possible that serial number photograph is for a different gun? That's the mystery to us now, as Paul mentioned above, the 22 and 6 PPCS all had the special serial numbers starting with a b or c. And I should have stated before, but my condolences for your loss. Personally, I don't think there was anything wrong with your dad's past time! And I think you've come to the right place if you do want to part with these! I would highly recommend you and your brother keep at least one each. This appears to be unfired ,new in the box with all materials and acknowledging its history of being owned by relatively famous writer I don't think you would be out of line to ask 1750+ for it. If it has OEM Sako high rings add another hundred to 150 bucks.

Best,
    Gary

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  11. Michael Schmalen

Michael Schmalen Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The serial number picture is definitely off this rifle, this is the only one of his rifles I'm interested in possibly selling at this time

dgeesaman and gowyo like this.
  12. pow

pow Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    There was a photo of a 6 PPC Serial # a year ago on this forum and it has the same layout as yours.

13. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    This is a target adjustable trigger and single shot. My phone let’s me zoom in on the pic and see this.

I can see $1000-1500 depending on condition and excluding the ammo. It’s one of the less common Sako A1 configurations. You say you never fired it but we don’t know how much Mr. Carmichael shot it.

I hope I have cash in my pocket when/if this comes up for sale.

David

14. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    The serial number you posted doesn’t appear to be off the rifle being discussed. The single shot PPC rifles had oil finish not lacquer and the serial numbers did start with A B and C. I have a deluxe 6mm PPC and it doesn’t have the A B or C serial number. Here is an earlier discussion about a 6PPC and a serial number is shown.

I just bought a 22 PPC and paid $1500.00 for it. I did feel I was paying full bore for it, but it was a consecutive serial number to the 6PPC that I already have, so I paid more than I normally would have.

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-6ppc-sporter-question.12277/#post-64107

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    dgeesaman likes this.
  15. Michael Schmalen

Michael Schmalen Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I took all the pictures at the same time, the serial # is off this rifle.

16. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Are you sure?!;)

17. Michael Schmalen

Michael Schmalen Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Proof! :) does anyone know when they started producing them? Is it possible this is something that was built prior to the serial # change?

Attached Files:

gowyo likes this.
  18. Michael Schmalen

Michael Schmalen Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I pulled this chart from sako's website, it looks like the manufactured a few ppcs with standard serial numbers in 1987, the first date for the new ppc numbering system shows as October 8, 1987. What is interesting though is the number on my rifle (183358) seems to pre-date the first listed number on this chart (183762). So would this paricular rifle have been built even prior to the start date on this chary of March 11, 1987?

Attached Files:

gowyo likes this.
  19. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    The price might be going up! If this was one of the 1st testbed prototypes that was sent to Jim Carmichael for a T&E article, you might have a golden acorn! You need to do a literature search to see if you can find an article, maybe even with pictures!

20. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I still find it interesting what this is. I have serial number A020 that was sent to a gun writer by Louis Palmisano specifically for testing. This was extremely early in the PPC development as Mike had to use 7.62X39 brass and neck it down to 6 mm. I would guess this to be a later gun but I don’t know for sure...