A Very Unusual Tikka M65 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Valmet and Tikka' started by icebear, Sep 3, 2021.

1. waterwolf

waterwolf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Tikka M-65 fullstock 6.5x55
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Fantastic. It even has the oversize bolt knob, and it's chambered in 6.5x55. But is it factory built, or a custom? It looks like it could have been built by taking a rifle like mine, cutting off the forend tip, and adding an extension to the stock. The nosepiece is the type used by custom builders. What is the length of the barrel - is it full length, or a carbine? My mind is open on this. I believe other full-stock Tikkas have been reported to exist in Canada, but I've never heard of one here in the USA. Arma Fennica makes no mention of any full-stock Tikka M55/65.

Regardless of its origin, it's a beautiful rifle and I am envious. It's like seeing the Holy Grail. I'm tempted to build one like it. Thanks for posting the photos.

3. CerebralDistortion

CerebralDistortion Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    Last time I visited my local dealer he had two M65. One just like the one above, bolt knob and all, and one continental.

4. waterwolf

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick

It was totally factory and I have seen it in several Tikka catalogs of the period. I have also seen others just like it in Canada, although in other calibers. However, all I have left of it are these photos. I sold it and do not have seller's remorse. It had a short barrel but still weighed a ton and it handled like a log, even without the weight of a scope and rings. When a rifle feels way too heavy and unbalanced in a store or at home, one knows that it will be a real pain to carry around for a day or three while hunting. So, although a nice compact fullstock carbine in the photos, it was actually an overbuilt tank of a rifle.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Charles Witt and icebear like this.
  5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks for that information. I've noticed that the M55/M65 Tikkas are somewhat heavier than Sakos of the same vintage. I'm OK with the feel and balance of the Tikka rifles, and all three of mine are very accurate. I've never had the chance to hold a Tikka carbine in my hands so I can't comment on that. I do find it surprising that the Tikka full-stock carbine feels heavy and clumsy; certainly that is not the case with the equivalent Sakos. If I saw one for sale at any kind of reasonable price, I'd probably buy it anyway, just as an interesting range toy.

6. waterwolf

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Everyone I ever handed it to, immediately remarked on its excess weight. It wasn't just a bit too heavy... It was a lot too heavy...and with a scope, maybe even ridiculously heavy. It had none of the remarkable handiness of my early Manlicher-Schoenauer carbines or even the earliest Sako fullstocks...If anything, it felt more like a modern Sako 85 Bavarian fullstock...which is also a too-heavy log...and a log is a log is a log.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021