A Strange Beast on GB

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Jun 8, 2019.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    This odd custom L61R Finnbear with a Mannlicher stock is on Gunbroker. It just closed with no bids and re-upped with an asking minimum bid of $599. It looks to me like a regular Finnbear that was cut down and put in a custom stock. There's no sights or nosepiece and it has a contrasting forend tip (probably rosewood). The stock is a gorgeous piece of walnut but oddly shaped and finished. The weirdest thing to my eye is that the checkering on the pistol grip is cut with square, 90 degree diamonds instead of the usual angle. It also has a set of Millett scope rings with Sako adapters. This could have been a really nice piece, but somebody just didn't have it quite together. Might be an interesting project for an avid Sako customizer with time and taste - I think there's enough left of the stock to redo it into something nice, and it's a shame to see a nice piece of walnut going to waste.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811971317

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Too bad and unfortunate, probably a tough sell. I suppose a guy could rework/reshape the wood, have the crown reworked, perhaps add a schnabel piece, irons, ringmounts, and so on. I’m afraid I don’t see the investment potential at the bid he’s at this time around. At $599. plus shipping and transfer, you’d be at $675. +\- just to get it home, then tack on whatever.

I do agree it’s a really nice piece of wood. Typically I’m all about trying to see the potential and have taken on similar projects in the past. This rifle/carbine (?) presents too many challenges for my personal taste.

I realize someone was attempting to create a unique custom. Maybe the original rifle was badly damaged and this was the result, who knows. I guess the bottom line is - you could locate an original AV .30-06 (one in fair to good condition) and be in the same ballpark regarding overall cost (by the time you fix the GB rifle) in the end.

Take care.

3. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Gad! The only thing worse than the wood on that gun is the checkering and worse than that are the pictures. Having Sako in the DNA doesn't salvage the rest of that gun for that price...

4. cmk

cmk Active Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm
    I am very curious regardging the "border" around the bottom metal. Is that bedding material? It really looks weird. And the checkering looks non-professional as well.

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I think that border is supposed to be some kind of decorative inlay. I can't make out what it actually is - maybe dark colored veneer. And I agree that the checkering is an amateur job - it's fine lined, but the execution is inconsistent. I've never seen checkering cut with the diamonds at 90 degrees. IMHO it looks awful. It's a pity - that's a nice piece of wood.