• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

P54 A story of a rifle...

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Valdemar

I though I might want to share the story of my 1954 vintage P54 .22 LR as it unwinds not waiting until the little rifle is at its final form.

The history of P54 has been discussed here several times and as we know Sako has been notoriously liberal with using serial numbers crisscrossing between different variations of the same models, not really caring when a particular component was manufactured so what ever they took from the shelf could be brand new or machined two years ago, i.e. dating Sakos is blurry at best.

As you know the letter 'P' stands for 'Pienoiskivääri' which is literally translated in English 'Miniature Rifle' or in Swedish, 'Miniatyrgevär' as you may have noticed from historic Swedish adverts on this site.

The 'accepted' dating of these rifles (I'd take even this with a pinch of salt) : the year of manufacturing and the first serial number for the year:

P54

- August 12th 1954, 20001
- 1955, 22500
- 1956, 27000
- 1957-1958, 29000
- 1959, 30500
- 1960, 32500
- 1972, 44052 (haven't been able to verify this last one from multiple sources)

P54T

- 1958, 29000
- 1959, 30500
- 1960, 32500
- 1961, 34000
- 1962-1964, 36000
- 1970, 41300
-1972, 44048

According to the list this particular rifle serial number 21421 was build in 1954 and it was bought new by a young gentleman from Kuhmoinen, Finland. My late friend got the rifle a few years ago as gift from its original owner and after his suicide I bought it from his estate with a good price for a P54 in this condition, 150€. The correct price point should've been between 90 to 120€ but as the trusted man for the estate I didn't want anyone think I was profiteering from their trust.

urDQtNP6_o.jpg

The rifle the way I got it after wiping the most of the surface rust away with an oily rag: metal parts rusty and pitted, parts missing from the peep sight, the stock in very bad shape hence I will store it as it is and replace it with a one I bought for 30€ with all parts included and I will modify a bit.

bGBitWOJ_o.jpg

No adjustment screws nor spring on the peep sight, the stock has lost almost all of its lacquer and is soaked with Anti Corrol gun oil, the classic old-fashioned Finnish petroleum based oil with which lots of stocks have traditionally been ruined in Finland. As I type this the rear sight leaf, spring and pin are on an airplane over the Atlantic Ocean en route to Canada :)

VOkgErdh_o.jpg

The only 'problem' with the rifle is... not the rifle itself, but my old eyes: I couldn't see almost anything through the peep sight for the lack of light entering my eye, hence I drilled the peep hole to 2.7 mm size...

Before his passing we did discuss with my friend about refurbishing the rifle and customising it a bit by removing the leaf rear sight and repairing the stock, so when I made the decision to keep the rifle my plan was exactly what we had in mind back then. And a bit more, the original shoestring budget figured by my friend couldn't pay for professional re-bluing nor new parts, but I thought to give this one a bit more effort and funding as a tribute to those 30 years we knew each other.

So... To work, first remove the soldered on its place rear sight with a propane torch.
VF823kTs_o.jpg

Sorry for the out of focus picture, taking pics with a phone while working on stuff is sometimes challenging...

After scraping the remaining soldering tin away, removing pitting from the receiver and barrel with sanding paper and polishing the whole shebang I sent the rifle to a professional for classic bluing. When I told him the background of this process he promised to treat this rifle with all the respect and care it deserves.

In for a penny, in for a bankruptcy :confused:

lDbk0TQt_o.jpg

Now as the metal parts are being taken care off, I concentrate on the replacement stock I bought. It is from the same mid 1950's era, but in very good condition... Regardless, I sanded all lacquer off...

6edK71uF_o.jpg

...and reshaped the stock to fit my hands and aesthetics. Looks cruel but as one fictional character used to say just before something bad happened 'Trust me, I know what I'm doing!'

The stock in its new shape, blond and naked. All the first versions of P54 and even later all domestic ones had stocks made of birch, usually with some natural flame pattern in their structure. As a very light coloured wood it's more pleasing to ones eye to dye it darker with tinted lacquer or with coloured oil which is my preferred approach.

ZNkoZAvk_o.jpg

The stock soaked with pore filler just about to sanded once more and then again and again, and...

DbocW7gz_o.jpg

The front end of the stock has got a new shape on it.

H0ugpBYv_o.jpg

As a guitar player my fleshy palm needs some extra room on the stock, hence the cut...

K598dujH_o.jpg

And another out of focus picture: the first stages of finish the stock.

Took another picture this morning after applying another layer of stock oil. this will be repeated for a couple of days, after which there will be several steps to take and depending on my willingness to go full bananas the whole process may take up to two weeks after which I have to wait for another week or two before I can rub a layer of wax to protect and give some extra sheen to the surface.

oARbP82R_o.jpg

...to be continued.

as the happy recipient in canada of the rear-sight leaf, spring and pin that you removed from your rifle, I want to thank you again, Valdemar, and the SCC also, for this chance to restore my P54 to its original configuration.

A quick update: went out to check my mailbox...

ebi7YZ5H_o.jpg

U9JTISel_o.jpg

A near mint condition peep sight to replace the rusty original with missing parts, 25€ delivered from another Finnish Sako aficionado. Now I've got two eye pieces, the one I drilled larger and this original if someone with younger eyes wishes to put this little rifle to a test. Aim small, hit small... If you can see it o_O

Very much like how you are doing the stock. Nice piece of Birch!
Thank you, back in a day someone said about one of my guitars 'Nice piece of Ash!' :rolleyes:

Thanks Tex, and I will continue with pleasure! The pro sent me a picture of progress, looks like he cleaned up the bolt and blued the handle and the bolt sleeve. I hadn't yet dismantled the bolt and I do believe this was the first time these parts have been apart since the original assembly back in 1954...

0ZyoZkwX_o.jpg

CCL is my favourite product alas the process takes literally weeks, but I think it's well worth the effort.

I did get the barrel and action back... Oh boy, looks great but I'll hold my pictures until I can put the whole rifle together.

Two days ago as I went through my flasks of magic potions I spied with my eye a large vial of Selenic Acid, an oxoacid of Selenium which has some mystical powers vested in its constitution: it makes iron go blue. And since for some equally mystical reason I didn't bring my front sight with the rest of the P54 to the Wizard of the Deepest Blue, I thought to myself I should give this cold-blue potion a go.

Took a drinking glass I was 'bout to throw away, dropped the hastily polished and degreased front sight parts in the glass, poured in two parts of water and one part of diluted to about 10% H2SeO4 to cover them parts and let them change colour for twenty...ish minutes. Or maybe half an hour, after which I rinsed them well with water, then put them in a plastic container and soaked them with the cheapest gun oil I've got stored for this kind of situations (my neighbour is working at a spray can manufacturing plant and he brings me sometimes cans of various oils and barrel cleaning foams with cosmetic failures), don't want to use premium oils for this kind of tasks.

gq58A9Xx_o.jpg

I think they look quite pretty.

Hello Valdemar!
Beautiful fiddle back stock, can't wait to see the rifle when you put it all together. All the best!!

Finally, the P54 project is finished :)Ran into some little bumps along the way, like because I reshaped the front part of the stock, the original sling swivel screw was way too long and because of its design, impossible to customise. And I also wanted to be able to use more modern quick attach swivels, so I had to come up with a plan.

And I did. When you never throw anything away, you quite often have what you need if you use a bit of imagination.

That screw-in bushing just happened to be exactly the correct diameter and even the thread was the same as with the original swivel screw...
eRygAcBD_o.jpg

There it is, shortened to the correct length and I filed those slots so I could use a flat head screwdriver to drive it in.
Tm6Amlje_o.jpg

There it is, fastened with some Loctite...
Gy5X9kMu_o.jpg

Sorry again for the low quality of these working photos...

QJaHdXGP_o.jpg

But here she is. I was looking for classic Mauser aesthetics and I think I did manage to catch at least some of the old vibe.

fuSiZLdk_o.jpg

The traditional satin bluing is flawless.
8ES6Ycge_o.jpg

Now that I was at it, I made the barrel free floating...
3st00QdL_o.jpg

The new sling swivel studs...
OkMHvCp8_o.jpg

You don't need lacquer to make wood shine...
REJkG0NE_o.jpg

DGmEwEly_o.jpg

The front peep sight for lightweight barrel version uses the original front sight base.
9CqaOGRr_o.jpg

The near mint condition rear peep sight I bought from another Sako aficionado in Finland was a bolt-on solution, no refurbishing needed...
j6eHevSu_o.jpg

All metal parts have been refinished.
NlF2TxH3_o.jpg

Palm cut for the guitar player's hand...
tdGP6I9P_o.jpg

And it still is more accurate than I am, mission: success.
AJkTiIhc_o.jpg

Lots of layers of oil and polishing and letting dry, oil and polishing and letting dry... After which two layers of CCL gun stock wax. The whole process took a whole month. Tinted lacquer would've been much easier path, but I think it was well worth the elbow grease and my late friend would give his blessing.

Cheers mates, now I'll have a beer! ;)

Lovely, lovely, lovely! It shows dedication and hard work. Congratulations on a great finish for your project. Sakojim.

Back