Mannlicher A new to Riihimaki in 222, factory rings and rear peep, I'm thrilled.

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by harleyhutch, Sep 9, 2019.

1. harleyhutch

harleyhutch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Just acquired a new to me Riihimaki Mannlicher in 222, 23" standard weight barrel, light colored stock, factory peep installed, low Sako rings, removable clip and very nice condition. I'm pretty darn happy. Came from extended family member that offered my their fathers collection of firearms. From what if found a born on date around 1959-1960 (ser 44xxx) ?? How do I tell if the low (Sako markered) rings are period correct? Last but not least some ideas of a period correct scope if I decide to scope it, plan on using it as is for now so no hurry. I have a bunch of new quality glass but they don't work for me on vintage rifles. This one will put a big fat doe in the freezer this year, a family has to eat you know.
    Now, the one brother says his friend has a left handed Sako in 270 that will be for sale. Don't know if regular stock or Mannlicher? Do they exist in 270 and a Mannlicher stocked version? If so does the value take a hit for being a lefty?
    Thanks in advance.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Riihimaki is the town the Sako plant is located in, not a model designation. Your rifle is a Model L46. The very early ones were stamped L46 in the top of the front dovetail & the later ones (late 1950's), were stamped L46 on the left side of the receiver. Most of them were not stamped during their production run, as it was the only model Sako made until 1957. There are lots of pictures here of the Sako ringmounts or you can post pics of your's to confirm what you have. You can find it's production date & who it was shipped to by clicking on "Factory Records Service" in the upper left of this page & requesting the data. Sako chambered for the 270 Win in their long actions, L61R, AIII & AV. The 270 was offered in the Mannlincher configuration as well as the standard Sporter & Deluxe models. Value is dependent on many variables, but I think it goes without saying that a lefthanded model would have more value to a lefthanded person than to a righthanded person & vice versa. Any scope made in 1960 or prior would be considered "vintage" for your L46, but if you are going to hunt with it you are likely to be disappointed. Scopes from that time will tend to fog up with temperature changes, have poor light transmission, uncentered crosshairs & limited field of view, which is why most rifles from that era also had open sights. The fixed power Weavers & Leupolds from the late 60's & 70's are a much better choice from a performance standpoint, yet are "period" enough to give you the "appearance" you desire. The "Low" rings will limit the objective bell diameter the scope can have without touching the barrel or the bolt handle hitting the ocular bell. A scope with no objective bell or one with no larger than a 32mm diameter lens will probably be the limit for the low rings. Good Luck!! BTW, it's not a "clip". A clip is what an M1 uses. Your Sako has a DBM, detachable box magazine!!

3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/

I think these guys are a little high price wise but they do give some great ideas and offer some very nice refurbished vintage glass. This will get you some ideas.

harleyhutch likes this.
  4. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I have a few old L46 sakos and prefer the vintage glass and mounting systems. The top is a 7X33 with a Unertl Hawk 4X scope, the bottom 3 are all Bausch and Lomb Balvar 2.5-8 scopes with Kuharsky bases. All scopes and bases are still relatively easy to get on ebay and various other venues, and even though they are old, they all perform exceptionally well...

thumbnail_IMG_6505.jpg

5. harleyhutch

harleyhutch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    That's what I get for typing in a hurry, magazine not clip, had to go do a small backhoe job, surprised the post came out as good as it did, trying to keep the grumpy old guy next door happy and a well driller to boot. Will do some more research as time permits, speaking of which, why does time go by fast after retirement?

6. harleyhutch

harleyhutch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I do have a nice clear Weaver 1.5-4.5x straight tube here I could use, shots on chucks, yotes and deer will be at 200 yards max. Anything in the woods around here limits me to 100 yards or under so I can live with this one should I decide to throw it on at some point. Was hanging on it for a custom 257 Roberts in a Rem 722 I have at the stock maker for freshening up, but remembered the ECHO mounts are 7/8" so that frees this scope up. I know a lot of guys prefer something bigger but I don't need that much glass for around here.

susanna likes this.
  7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If the original Sako mounts you have are solid rings (just two screws on the LH side, then you'll have to have a scope which you can take apart in the middle (or end) in order to slide the rings on. Sako split rings are also contemporary with the gun and can be used with any 1" scope. In "period" scopes, Lyman, Unertl, and Redfield do pretty nicely. In a later scope, I'd recommend a Leupold Compact 2-7 or 3-9 which can be mounted in low mounts. Scopes with larger ocular bells may interfere with the bolt/safety in a low mount on an L46.

8. harleyhutch

harleyhutch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Thanks for the clarification, these are Sako low split rings, four screws per ring. May try the Weaver straight tube 1.5-4.5x I was saving for another rifle that has the one piece ECHO mounting system and is 7/8" so wouldn't work with that system anyways.