• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

A Männlicher 375 H&H buy what type??

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I know little about Sako but just purchased a Sako AV serial # 588674 a mannlicher with a 18.5 or 19inch barrel in 375 H&H caliber. When I received the rifle I immediately placed it on my accurate postal scale and the rifle with rings but without ammo or a scope weighs 7 pounds 10 ounces. I was expecting the 375 to weigh 10 or 11 pounds.

It looks like a 30-06 in size with a 375 barrel attached.
Could someone please tell me the model and possibly the year?
I like the rifle a great deal to hold and swing and plan on bringing it to the range next week.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

As a new member, I live in coastal Georgia, I am retired 9 years now, I buy and sell lever action rifles part-time, I was on active duty in the U.S. Army for 27 years, and I enjoy my 3 grandsons.

I meant to say - BUT WHAT TYPE? Not "buy"

Attachments

• IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Welcome. I'd very much like to read a report on your experiences firing that little rifle, re: recoil, muzzle blast, accuracy, etc...and if possible, velocity.

You properly described the "type". It is the Mannlincher carbine configuration of the AV action. The AV is the last of the L61R action variations. Not sure why Sako made these little carbines in a powerhouse magnum round as the short barrel lessens velocity & power considerably (needing that power is why one would use a 375 in the first place) & the light weight results in excruciatingly intolerable recoil. They are much better to look at than to shoot & are great candidates for "collecting" rather than shooting, IMHO. Be certain to check your actions screws & make sure they are properly tightened. Many stocks have been cracked by shooting these with loose screws! Good Luck & let us know if you get a "kick" out of shooting it!! Sako didn't build rifles in order with the serial numbers, so estimating it's year of production is a guess. 1985 + or - a year would be my guess.

You properly described the "type". It is the Mannlincher carbine configuration of the AV action. The AV is the last of the L61R action variations. Not sure why Sako made these little carbines in a powerhouse magnum round as the short barrel lessens velocity & power considerably (needing that power is why one would use a 375 in the first place) & the light weight results in excruciatingly intolerable recoil. They are much better to look at than to shoot & are great candidates for "collecting" rather than shooting, IMHO. Be certain to check your actions screws & make sure they are properly tightened. Many stocks have been cracked by shooting these with loose screws! Good Luck & let us know if you get a "kick" out of shooting it!! Sako didn't build rifles in order with the serial numbers, so estimating it's year of production is a guess. 1985 + or - a year would be my guess.

Thanks very much for the reply !
I have Fjestad 35th Edition Blue Book of Gun Values (I think it is 30 months old) on Page 1676 it has the "Finnbear Model Mannlicher Carbine" listed in 375H&H.
Under recent production, Page 1679, it has simply "Mannlicher Carbine" in 375H&H, discontinued in 1996 with 18.5in barrel.

I wish it had a name like the Vixen model, but maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist.

I've mail-ordered some 375H&H ammo, I could not find any in Savannah. I cleaned it for 3 hours yesterday, I do not think it had ever been cleaned since new. I ran in excess of 100 patches through the barrel, the first 50 were blackish. The carbon on the bolt, the action, every thing was nasty. Even the stock had a film of crud on it.
The barrel appears fine to my surprise, but my bore light is very cheap. About half the guns I buy on gun broker look like they were never cleaned, I just don't understand that.

The trigger is crisp but breaks at 5 lbs 5 oz to 5 lbs 7 oz. It is consistent but I wish it would break at 3lbs.

I hope to shoot it next week. ... Savannah AL

Finnbear is the name associated with all the long action Sakos. The early L61r's had that name stamped on the barrel & Sako used that term to market all their long action models whether stamped or not. It's more descriptive & informative to used the action/model designations of L61R, AIII, & AV to identify a particular rifle rather than "Finnbear", but feel free to call yours a Finnbear Mannlicher if you want. Vixen & Forester are the marketing names used for the short & medium action Sakos. Fjestad's Blue book is notoriously inaccurate when it comes to Sakos and not a good source of reference. Peruse the threads here & you will get the real scoop on your rifle. Welcome to our club!!

Latest posts

Back