A kid, a Sako, and another Texas whitetail

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stonecreek, Nov 16, 2014.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    IMG_6299.jpg
    He reads the forum regularly but doesn't post too often, so I'm taking the liberty of posting a photo of another member's grandson with his first deer.

The member is long-time Sako Collectors Club supporter Rodger, who is the owner of www.SakoSource.com, an advertiser here on SCC and purveyor of many fine Sakos of the classic period. If you haven't checked out his website you really need to do that as there are some really nice Sakos and other fine rifles there.

He took his 9 year-old grandson out this weekend in NW Texas to try for his first deer. They had this large, mature buck come in by itself around 5:30 in the afternoon. At first the deer didn't cooperate and kept its butt turned toward them. When it finally moved a little the grandson tried a shot but missed. However, the buck wasn't spooked and simply walked into the brush where it disappeared for about five minutes before re-emerging about 75 yards away. This time the buck presented a broadside and the grandson put one into his shoulder. The deer ran to some brush and dropped dead just about ten steps in. Rodger said that the body was well above average, but that the deer was fairly old and it didn't appear he would grow any better antlers -- an especially good deer to take from the herd.

He was shooting an H&R 317 on a Sako L461 action in .223, loaded with 60-grain Nosler Partitions. The little Sako-actioned rifle is perfect for small shooters and this is the second kid to take his first deer with it.

So, congratulations to Rodger and his grandson!

Branxhunter, Bottom Gun, FLT and 4 others like this.

2. Wilson

Wilson Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    That is a fine looking buck and should be some good eating

3. scottbitterman

scottbitterman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    fine looking buck. what a start for the youngster. now i just might have to try my 223 next year i always thought the 223 was to small for whitetails but i see otherwise now.

4. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    That's just magic! Well done to all involved. I bet that is something he never forgets. Good on Grandpa too. I wonder who had the biggest smile!

5. Coleman Cowboy

Coleman Cowboy Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Rodger and his grandson both did well!

Mark