A cry for help from you P72, P75 and M78 owners!

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by L61R, Aug 4, 2012.

1. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Guys!

I just recently came across this P75 Hornet and I hope to be able to purchase it in the near future.

As many of you know there has been many discussions about the triggers of these fine little rifles among other things (serial number sequence and more).

I just received some pics of the rifle in question and there are pics of the trigger so I thought you guys could strip down yours and post pics of your triggers from the same angles as I do here. That way we could compare and try to find out what the difference really are.
    Sadly I have no pics of my triggers until I get home in well over two weeks.

So get that screwdriver (no not the orange adult beverage!!:becky:) and get to it!

Here´s the pics:

P75 1.jpg P75 2-1.jpg P75 3.jpg P75 4.jpg P75 5-1.jpg P75 6-1.jpg

2. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Trigger Photos

Here ya go Jim . . . My P72 with out her stock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  3. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Hey that was fast! Thanks!

As far as I can tell there´s a slight difference of the upper part of the trigger but that´s all? Need to study these a bit closer before I can certain.

Don´t let this stop you proud owners from pulling your P-series apart. I will do it to my P72´s in a few weeks time.

THANKS!

Jim

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Jim: Sorry for the bad angle, but this is an existing photo I had of a P-75 Hornet (left) and a M-78 Hornet (right). As you can see, the triggers are quite different despite the actions being virtually identical.

I see that the one you're buying has the tip-off bases for .22-style rings already in place. Tip-off rings work well (I like the ones by either Leupold, Burris, or Millett). The Millett's are the most versatile in that they will fit varying widths of rails. On my M78 Hornet the rails have been replaced with Weaver-type bases for cross lock rings. These are a bit stronger, but not really necessary for the Hornet.

Attached Files:

5. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Sorry I cant help but just out of curiosity are the M-78 as good as the P-series. I am looking at buying one soon and need some advise? please
    I notice on the old sako numbering that not many M78 were made is this true.\
    100264488-1-L.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  6. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Ed, I've never seen a P72 in the flesh, so I can't really compare to my M78.
    But, the M78 has a good stock for scope use, and the M78 has the BEST single stage trigger I've come across on any Sako. Way better than all the centerfires (L461, AI, AII, AIII) I've tried. I could adjust the creep and backlash to almost nothing, so that pressure could be applied to the trigger and the sear would trip without any apparent movement of the trigger.

Jim: I always wondered which trigger the P75 had. Thanks for posting the photos.

7. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    A huge thank you to all of you guys for your fast help! This is why I run this forum!:urock:

So we have seen the three different versions of the triggers on the P72, P75 and the M78. If you find an anomaly to these please post it here!

These rifles we´ve seen here so far have all been marked with the model designation but I would like to know if there are any P series rifles out there w/o any model designation stamped on them? I´ve heard rumours of such creatures but have never seen any IRL? If you have one please check your triggers aginst the ones showed here and let us know!

I would also like to know more about the numbering sequence.

According to the Sako records at Sako.fi the production of the P72 started in 72 with # 00101 and it ended in 74 with # 03246. These numbers are somewhat strange and can it be that Sako have omitted the 7 in front of these numbers in the records? All P series I´ve ever seen have been 6 digits and have all started with a 7.

There is no mentioning of a P75 in the Sako records what so ever and the list just states that there is a change of model designation from P72 to M78. This happened in 79 and it ends in 83 with #719490.
    There is also the M78 Hornet made from 79 with # 712716 to # 713685 but no mentioning of which year they stopped manufacturing them?

So here is my challenge to you guys. Take one pic of your P-series rifles showing the serial number and designation (if any?), check your triggers and email me the pic and a short description of it and I´ll post them in a reference thread here. That way you can stay anonymous and won´t have to show off your serial numbers as I know some of you are hesitant to do so. I´ll make sure no one knows where the pics came from!

I´ll start with my own P72´s and the P75 I posted yesterday and you guys can come along afterwards. It doesn´t matter if there are several similar rifles here since I want to establish when the models changed designations and triggers. It´s a huge task but it will just have to take it´s time.

So grab that camera and get to it!

Just make sure the pic is not too large and email me at: mail (at) sakoparaphernalia (dot) com

If you use a photo site like photobucket, flicks or similar, you can email or PM me a link to it instead.

Edit! Here´s the new thread where your pics will end: http://www.sakocollectors.com/forum...pics-of-model-designations-and-serial-numbers

Jim

8. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks Hootsmon I think I will buy it as it really appealys to me and would slip into the collection really nice!

9. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    The reference thread has been updated with more pics! Thanks buddy!

And for your info, the new reference section can only bee seen by registered members while logged in. Just so you know.

Come on guys! Go fix us some pics!

Jim

10. dugasgunner

dugasgunner Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    Mmmm. My 78 Hornet's serial is 710298??
    [​IMG]

11. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hi L61R
    I have one of these mysterious P75 22 hornets, that's been frustrating me. It has a trigger like the one on the far right of your original post. [​IMG] It does not have the screw in the top of the actual trigger. Just the threaded hole. It currently has a super long take up, then about a 4-5 lb pull. Are these otherwise fine rifles supposed to have a long two stage trigger? I bought my rifle in the early 1990's (it still looks new, but I did not get a box or papers with it) and it has sat in the safe because of the trigger. I took it to a very experienced gunsmith (doing trigger for over 40 years) - who has worked on other Sako rifles, and this trigger is baffling him. Before I give up on this rifle, can someone who has experience with this model, with the trigger style on it, share some details about how its supposed to be? I had lots of very good responses on earlier posts, but the trigger issue, and "what it is supposed to be" eludes me.

thank you, and others who have been patient with me trying to sort this otherwise wonderful rifle out.

12. Best rifle

Best rifle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Ridge Runner,

I too have a P75 Hornet and mine also has the long take up on the trigger. I don't think my trigger pull is that heavy though. Now I want to go home and measure it. It is very, accurate with standard Winchester 46grain loads.