A couple of home made boys knives

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by topgear, Sep 4, 2016.

1. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Well it's been a pretty wet few months in my neck of the woods. So have been spending a lot of time in the shed. My youngest bloke is mad keen on swords and asked if we could make one in the shed! He wanted to forge it:confused: A sword is way out of my league so I suggest we try a knife, which he seemed happy about! His brother decided to have a crack as well so last weekend they got started.
    Used an old power hacksaw blade and they drew out the shape they wanted.
    image.jpeg
    They then used an angle grinder with thin disk and cut out the blanks. The eldest got a bit off track so his blade ended up a few cm's shorter :D I had some old walnut off cuts from gun stock blanks and they each chose a block. One was a slightly red blank and the other a lighter coloured honey walnut with a few mineral streaks running through it.
    image.jpeg
    So now it was time to crank the forge up. This step was just more for the boys entertainment:p they loved it!
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

2. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    We got the knives hot until they lost their magnetism and then dropped them in old used motor oil.
    image.jpeg
    They then attached the walnut blanks with brass pins and glued everything together.
    image.jpeg
    For a few afternoons after school this week they shaped up the handles with a hand file and after a few coats of Lin speed they finished up alright.

image.jpeg
    There not perfect by any means but I thought they did alright and it got them off the iPads for a while!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Tonight I sharpened them up and they certainly hold a edge. I had no problem shaving the hairs of my arm:D
    image.jpeg

4. Bowne1

Bowne1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    The knifes are great, but making them with your boys is priceless. To me, this is what this forum is all about. Our love for Sako rifles, family and sharing our experiences together. Thanks Topgear. Enjoyed the story

5. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Thanks Bowne1. Hopefully it's something they remember doing as they get older. The youngest is super keen to make 'a bigger one' as he put it so I think they enjoyed it! Although he was a bit upset he couldn't take it to school to show his mates!

6. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Well the boys have been using there knives reasonably regularly and haven't managed to lose them yet! I took one with me yesterday and dressed a full old nanny goat with it. Must say I was surprised how well it went in holding an edge compared with my usual case xx knife. may have to make one for myself!
    boyknife.JPG

susanna and deersako like this.