Short Actions 7x33 Riihimaki and CH4D Dies Join the Stable

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by ricksengines, Dec 21, 2019.

1. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    After waiting for years for one to come along I finally snagged a Riihimaki 7x33 to add to my collection of rare Sako Rifles. Along the way, I contacted CH4d to see if they had a reloading die set and a file trim die in their inventory. To my surprise they had both available for immediate shipment so I ordered the dies and a shell holder and was more than pleased with the high quality of the dies that I received from them. You be the judge.

Pics of the 7x33 rifle...I should mention that I did receive some critical comments concerning the rifle. That said, to me it is a keeper and I consider myself very lucky to get it.

Now, it isn't without issues. The stock has been refinished. I'll probably buff it down with some very fine steel wool to remove some of the gloss finish. In addition I believe that the rifle was reblued somewhere back in the day. But, that served to prolong its life and the blue job was professionally done without buffing out any of the important roll stamp identifiers. So judge for yourself.....

PC210302.JPG PC210303.JPG PC210312.JPG PC210313.JPG

Notice the left hand flip safety. Also I didn't post a pic of the bolt face but it is in great shape as is the ejector. Also, the serial number stamp on the bolt matches the serial number on the receiver.

PC210304.JPG PC210307.JPG PC210305.JPG PC210310.JPG PC210314.JPG PC210306.JPG PC210320.JPG PC210309.JPG

I've looked the rifle over and for the life of me I can't find a stock repair anywhere on the thing. If it has been repaired the repair is virtually invisible to the naked eye.

PC210319.JPG PC210318.JPG

Hope everyone enjoys the pics. Comments are always welcome.

rick

Unclekax, FLT and sws1213 like this.

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    My comment is good for you, you seem tickled with it, nothing else matters. Enjoy the hell out of it. I’ve never been lucky enough to have seen one of those in person in that caliber. Merry Christmas to you and thanks for sharing.

3. sws1213

sws1213 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I wouldn’t be concerned one bit about what others may think about your purchase. I’m sure there are plenty of envious collectors on this site who would love to have one! Thanks for the pics.

4. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Nice pick up Rick, looks good to me and I like the serial no. too for some reason.
    Great fun to shoot, I’ve just put a 2.5-8 vxiii on one of mine.
    The pic of the rear sight is a bit dark, does the sight base have the rear ‘ears’ ?

5. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I ordered 300 Winchester 350 Legend cases from Midway. I read where you can form 7x33 cases from them by cutting them down and running them through a FL die and a File Trim Die. I'll report on how that goes. In the mean time Bullets are a challenge so I'm looking for something suitable.

rick

6. pow

pow Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    So . . . I have a question for Rick. The 7 x 33 mannlicher listed on guns international for several months. I have heard it is far more rare than the standard 7 x 33 you just purchased for just over $3000.00
    What would you sell that gun for, if it was yours?

7. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi POW

Many thanks for asking your question. So let me clear the air on what I paid. Got the 7x33 for a cool $2750. Buyer's premium was discounted by 2.5% because I paid cash. Total including shipping was $3220.50 including $58 for shipping. When you purchase from an auction site you have to bite the bullet and pay the buyer's premium. That said for a rifle like the 7x33 I won the extra bucks amounted to a nit. Why you might ask is because 7x33 Riihimaki rifles just don't come up for sale all that often.

One thing I forgot to mention about the rifle is that not one screw was boogerred. They are all perfect so disassembly for the stock work I am contemplating has to be done meticulously as I don't want to take a chance on mutilating any of them.

Now for the 7x33 you asked about that is listed on GI. The seller has been blackballed from our site. They guy has no intention of selling the rifle. He is just on a fishing expedition and will probably take them to the grave. A while back I purchased a rifle from him before I realized that he was the jerk I spoke about. That purchase was the most unpleasant I ever experienced in all of the years that I have been purchasing collector rifles online.

Bottom line don't even think about entering into a dialog with him. It will end up becoming a frustrating experience and leave you with a really bad taste.

rick

8. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    For deersako

Here is a better pic of the rear sight. It does have ears if I understand what your meaning is. If not please post a pic of a rear sight with ears so we can all see.

rick

PC220328.JPG

9. pow

pow Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    So what did he do to get banned?

10. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    He had been warned about certain critical posts he had made and yet he continued and as a result he was banned. It was no surprise to him or the members here, but it could have been avoided...

11. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    The rear ‘ears’ on the ladder sight is what I was referring to Rick.

A couple of 7x33’s, top one, an earlier rifle without the ears gives you many more options for scope mounting.
    I’ve noticed though, that you guys in the States don’t see many of these ‘domestic’ rifles with the rear ladder so far back.

1C74F539-41CD-4621-816B-C33F9FB9BC24.jpeg

ricksengines and susanna like this.
  12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It appears that Sako moved the location of the rear ladder sight of the L46 further forward later in the production run. I was just recently comparing three L46's, two from 1950 and another from 1957 with one another and found that the ladder sight on the 1957 model is a couple of inches further forward. Sako may have done this specifically to accommodate scope mounting, but I have no evidence that this was the reason. All of these were European models. The American ("export") models I've seen from the same eras had no rear sight. (But PLEASE, don't infer a "rule" from these observations because we have long-since learned that there is rarely anything consistent in Sakos!)