• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

70th Anniversary .30-06 for sale

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

topgear

Sako-addicted
For anyone who is interested there is a 70th Anniversary .30-06 here for sale. Crazy price - his taking offers above $6000K:shocked3: See http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=11097

Anyway it looks nice but that zeiss in the high rings with a 1 inch gap between scope and barrel makes it look unsightly:tdown:

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 70th ann.jpg
    70th ann.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 141
Top Gear,

Well, another one appears. Where the sling is in this picture is the space for two serialized cartridge boxes. Back in the old FinnMark news letters from the original Sako Club of America, there was an article containing the suspected release of this rifle. The price was thought to be around $8,500 USD back then. There were no other references posted. I suspected they went fast and none saw the US shore.

The scope is high off the action. Optics were late coming to European rifles, so although I know this design wasn't thought of as great at SAKO, OY, either, I would speculate not many who were able to buy them actually thought of them as "shooters". I think the optic was put that high to get over the iron sights shadow.

Anyway, the price asked here is not really out of line. Crazy people buy them. Try to find one (the rifle). I'm surprised to see this. There are two forum members who are known to own them. They feel really nice in one's hands. Every bit as good as a pre-'72 Deluxe and more.

You can't really tell the over-all shape of this one, and it would be a shame if it had been disrespected. After all, there were only 70 made, and you can see in these recent times what a foray Beretta has marketed the new ones into. They are crazy expensive. Nice, oh yes, but that's the first 10 - the second 90 made hold just a slight back seat to those first 10. I wonder, will there be 120 100th anniversary rifles?

On topic. Thanks for sharing the picture. My take - they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Finns, albeit as cheap as they are, would most likely be in the hunt for one. Where the sling is in this picture is the space for two serialized cartridge boxes( Blue and White). Back in the old FinnMark news letters from the original Sako Club of America, there was an article containing the suspected release of this rifle. The price was thought to come out around $8,500 USD back then. There was no other references posted. I suspected they went fast.

On topic. Thanks for sharing the picture. My take - they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Finns, albeit as cheap as they are, would most likely be in the hunt for one for the family heirloom.

Nice post,

Thanks'

S-A

Last edited:
Thanks for the info S-A! I've attached more photo's of the rifle and also the description which fills in about the missing ammo. It looks like a nice rig from the photo's - not to my tastes with that scope so high though! I'd be losing the opti-locks and putting on a set of the medium ringmounts. It would be interesting to know how it got here to Australia - probably DW Custer timeframe who pulled in some very unique sako's to Australia. I'd still love to know how he was able to convince sako to build his commemorative series just for Australia. Anyway hopefully it finds a nice home. Interesting that they were never offered to the public, but I suppose with 70 rifles its not many to go around.

Cheers John

Attachments

• Sako70.JPG
    Sako70.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Sako70dis.JPG
    Sako70dis.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 102
If the gun ended up in my hands, I bet I would have more of a difficult time letting the rifle go vs the $6k. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story behind the rifle.

topgear,

There was a time when it would not have been considered unusual for SAKO to entertain the idea of limited or special edition rifles. But, that was before the involvement of many middlemen and the growing global popularity of the brand. That's why we see the likes of the Custer's and the commemorative Finnwolf's done for the SCA. If I'm not mistaken, the deal on the SCA Finnwolf's was for an order of 200 pair with matching serial numbers in .243 and .308. Even an individual could put in a special request and often get it done. Seeing a rifle like that today would spark mostly DIY comments from a lot of people, UNLESS there was the paper trail behind it (and didn't involve electrical tape! - old story). Back then, the killer in most of these deals was the insane amount of wait time. That was due largely to slow paperwork processing, combined with meticulous craftsmanship and shipping meant a ship.

You don't buy a rifle like this one based on the price. It's more of a personal thing on what it means to you, and if the better half approves. If you buy it, you will have one of 69 others out there in the world somewhere. The first one is in the SAKO Museum.

As I see the pictures, that's pretty much the whole package. I'm sure it shoots every bit as good as it looks.

S-A

Last edited:
S-A ,

Its a pity we couldn't get a run of L46's built for the sakocollectors.com now! I'd even settle for a run of Sako 85's in .22 hornet! When you see the commemorative Custers out here in Australia (Finnwolfs + B/A's in all action sizes (A1, AII, AIII) in super deluxe stocks) it certainly makes you wonder.

Anyway good luck to whoever picks up this 70th ann. hopefully it will be someone on this forum!

Cheers John

S-A ,

Its a pity we couldn't get a run of L46's built for the sakocollectors.com now! I'd even settle for a run of Sako 85's in .22 hornet! When you see the commemorative Custers out here in Australia (Finnwolfs + B/A's in all action sizes (A1, AII, AIII) in super deluxe stocks) it certainly makes you wonder.

Anyway good luck to whoever picks up this 70th ann. hopefully it will be someone on this forum!

Cheers John

OMG I would be bankrupt if they brought back the L46 ,Let's see now that would be a
.223 in HB , 20"manlicher , and a sporter.
A hornet HB and 20" manlicher
17 hornady hornet in sporter and Manlicher might even go for a HB
218 be in manlicher
221 fireball in 20'' Manlicher
17 fireball in HB and 20'' manlicher
17 remington in HB and sporter
oh and lets not forget the 204 ruger let see thats about 17 rifles that I can think of right off the top now add glass I would have to get a mortgage again.
good thing that will probably never happen.

Just wondering if one of our members picked this one up?
It would be great to see some more photo's of it.

Beautiful rifle, no I didn't buy it but drooled over it everyday it was there.
I've spoke to Graeme (the seller) numerous times over the years about different rifles he has listed, this one was imported by him from Germany.

Back