691 query

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by wombat, Apr 23, 2021.

1. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hello Members,
    Did Sako ever offer the option with their 691 Magnum rifle, that they could be Magna-ported from the factory?
    I have seen one, and the owner believes it’s a factory order option, any feed back welcome.
    Thanks, Jay

2. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I think it would be highly unlikely Jay. Others may well have different opinions....

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako did not do any Magnaport or other muzzle brake work at the factory that can be documented. That doesn't rule out the possibility of some distributors or retailers having that kind of work done after they received the rifles to meet a customer's request or as an option if desired. If the rifle in question is truly a Magna-Port job, it is even more unlikely to have been done at the factory as Magna-Porting is a proprietary process that can only be performed by Magna-Port or someone they have licensed to do that work. This subject was discussed here a short time ago & because there is absolutely no evidence of Sako performing this type of work it is believed that any such barrel modifications on a rifle were done after it was shipped. If the owner has any proof the work was done at the factory we would be thrilled if he would share it.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Many Sako owners innocently take as gospel whatever the party who sold them the rifle said about it. Over and over we see inquiries about a Sako with a roll-over cheekpiece, or a Limbsaver pad, or some other modification which they were told when they purchased it was "from the factory". Well, it's true that those modifications came from some factory, just not the Sako factory.

Sometimes the owners of modified Sakos get irate when told that they've been misinformed and go away mad. But most people who inquire are happy to get accurate information whether it confirms or contradicts what they have been told. Just because a gun is not fully "factory" doesn't mean it's not a great and desirable piece of property.

5. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks Sraaw,Paulson,Stonecreek.
    I thought that at the time, If I see him again and the magna porting is discussed I will mention the history, as known.
    Regards, Jay