• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

6 PPC USA Trigger

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Webphut

So I just picked up a Sako 6PPC USA I bought used online. It is unfortunately in a non operational state. I have not taken it apart yet, but will do so in next few days to investigate. The trigger is not factory original. The obvious give away is the safety handle is not Sako's. The safety does not engage or disengage. The trigger does not pull back at all. It is dead set in one position. I just put the rifle in the safe and walked away in disgust, but I think the trigger looks not Sako either.

Im thinking someone swapped out the original factory adjustable match trigger for something aftermarket, but never properly installed it, literally put it on and forced the stock over it. So with all this in mind, if it is the trigger, I am more than willing to pay for a Sako factory adjustable match trigger, but heres the question. What am I looking for? Is it an AI adjustable factory trigger I need to search for or are the PPC adjustable trigger a one ought trigger? anyways, please fill me with information so I can at least get a trigger that even though will not be factory original, it will be the correct intended trigger Sako shipped with the rifle. GRRRRRR, really nice to look at, but WHY? LOL

So, I opened it up and it’s a Timney trigger. Looks to be some inletting/fitting needed to resolve the problem. Off to the smith it is going. Sad though, what was wrong with the factory trigger? Anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
796d57042fb73da2b205b2828f802241.jpg
d27a5a05daabaceebea0e09f5cafd0a1.jpg
a82ec4244a46f5c1d6e49bbc8e6d720b.jpg
cbbb8db308778a074d26841501773863.jpg
91f5f8ddeab74b7b222825b920f9b175.jpg
fd4c44bd066532ec6f7e63c4c26b56fb.jpg
06d008270e7b6e54ca4c142b97609209.jpg

Sako made a single shot AI action target model 6 PPC with an externally adjustable (holes in the bottom of the trigger guard to access adjustment screws) target trigger & an AI sporter model repeater 6 PPC with the standard Sako #4 trigger. The single shots had a special numbering system that started with an A, B, or C followed by three numbers. The repeater used the same serial numbers as the rest of the AIs. Which one you have will dictate what factory trigger you should search for. The #4s come up for sale fairly often & with a little effort you should be able to find one. The target trigger is much scarcer & may be very hard to locate. The #4 is adjustable down to about 2 lbs. The target trigger to about 6 oz. If yours is the repeater, my guess is the previous owner wanted a weight of pull lower than the #4 can be adjusted & still allow the safety to operate. Thus the Timney, which is not as good a trigger as the #4, IMHO. Your smith should be able to get things working.

My rifle has the target trigger...the one that is adjustable from under the trigger guard. My rifle is in the "A" batch.

I am not worried about the trigger working as I am familiar with the name Timney, I am just a Sako fan! Everything about sako just makes sence and thats why I buy them. Rusty barrel or beat up stock, I buy em because of how refined a rifle they are and when someone replaces the stock trigger with an aftermarket trigger, it just like makes me cringe....WHY? I dont get it. The factory target trigger is so sweet! But with some hope the seller will find the original laying around his house somewhere and he will ship it to me. I cross my fingers...lol, ehh, it is what it is...worse case scenario, I buy one that comes up some day for an arm and a leg.

The frame of the receiver is the same for either the target model or the repeater, so either trigger will fit either one. It sounds as if someone (for whatever reason) replaced the original target trigger with a Timney but failed to relieve the wood properly for it to work.

Your two practical choices are to (1) either properly install the Timney, or (2) find a used Sako #4 non-target trigger. The third choice would be to look for a Sako factory PPC target trigger. But since they were never (to my knowledge) offered as a separate component it would be nearly impossible to find one. Probably the only "loose" one out there is the one that came off of your rifle.:(

Yes, that is pretty much what I came up with too Stone.
My gunsmithing skills are squat so I am going to be dropping it off and the gunsmith can finish the Timney install correctly.
In the meantime, I will keep an eye out for a replacement online and/or if I am lucky, the seller hopefully will find the original and ship it to me.

I know triggers are like that one thing you do not want to mess with for safety purposes, but there are some gunsmiths out there that can take a horrible trigger and turn them into a diamond all while keeping the integrity of the trigger and the safety in tact.

I got it working this morning. It’s an inletting issue. There are a few spots in the stock that need a little fitting. I love the rifle! Just wish it came the way Sako intended it to from the factory. Seller got back to me and apologized. He’s going to look for the original trigger in his gun stuff. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stone.......not to worry, as I have plans for the other four also. :)

For example, tried one on this rifle for a while.
24b7sep.jpg

Stone.......not to worry, as I have plans for the other four also. :)

For example, tried one on this rifle for a while.
24b7sep.jpg
you know, lol, If I did not know any better, That looks like the 6PPC I inherited from my father. Were the dove tails drilled on the one in the photo, because the one I have, the dove tails are drilled...too funny, upsetting to the eye, but funny..I have to laught if my dad bought your old ppc and it resides in my safe now...lol.

IMG_0857.JPG So I went a head and tried my hand at installing the Canjar into my newly aquired 6PPC USA. With GOD watching over my shoulder and him kicking me in my shins once in a while, I was able to get it installed successfully. I used a fine bastard cut file and just relieved the trigger guard by hand. Only about 45 minutes worth of work and a sore finger. All in all, I think I will install the other two also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back