458 Win Mag on GB

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by GreyFox, Jan 27, 2018.

1. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I have zero interest in rather this sells or not, I'd LOVE to have it, shoot it, hunt it, Use it as intended, but alas..:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/740909655

2. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I saw that one, too. First one I've ever seen. How rare?

3. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I'm no expert; I've heard only 70 were produced and sent to the States, most were barreled actions, only 27 were actual firearms.
    There was a barreled action on an auction site - I'd planned for a working gun - not a collectors item - I bid on it; it sold for WAY more than my max bid! I then saw what I'm almost positive was the same gun (barreled action) for 50% more on another site.
    I'd positively ruin that as a collector's piece, fiberglass stock, probably a brake, express sights, and HUNT that thing like it was meant to be used!

4. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I saw this 458 at the Tulsa GS this past November. It was priced 20 percent higher, and with the high comb stock and rear sight being something you don't normally see in a 50000 serial number range, plus a crack in the stock, I decided to past on it.

deergoose likes this.
  5. Hillcountry

Hillcountry Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Hey GreyFox, I’m not familiar with the 458 caliber (sounds like a beast) — what do you hunt with it anyway???

HillCountry

6. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Really?? 458 was developed to deliver large bore (470 NE) energy from a bolt rifle. the Winchester Magnum family (264, 300, 338, 458) are built off the same case. There's a wildcat (416 Taylor) that is a 458 neck down or a 338 necked up to 416 that has intrigued me for years.

458 is a stopping round; Africa Big 5 up close and personal. I have a 375 H&H; shot a couple of deer and hogs with it - it blows right through, minimal damage as the bullet is through the animal before expansion, thus the entry is about the size of your pinky finger (.375) and the exit is small than my thumb.

7. Hillcountry

Hillcountry Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Thanks for the background - there is a Sako DLX 416 for sale on Sakosource.com right now here is the description:

416 Remington

A Genuine Dangerous Game Rifle with Custom Features

This beautiful Sako Deluxe in the powerful .416 Remington chambering has been tastefully customized as a true dangerous game rifle. It features these DG modifications: Threaded muzzle (with thread protector) should you wish to add a muzzle brake; three leaf express sights with two leaves un-notched so they can be notched to match a particular load; high visibility front sight; and a thick, recoil-absorbing Kick-Eze recoil pad. It is also equipped with Redfield-type scope mounts ready to accept the scope of your choice. Its condition is in the 98% range, with deep, rich bluing and a near pristine stock finish. Barrel has one exposed hole where original rear sight was removed. Bore is excellent and, as with most big bores, has seen limited rounds down the barrel. Magazine holds four rounds down and barrel is 24.4" long.

Stock #1237RS

Price: $1695.00