.416 Remington Magnum AV

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Charles Witt, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Charles Witt

Charles Witt Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Express sights. Plunger style extractor. Oil finished. Palm swell. Bolt knob smooth. Heavy barrel, I think. Factory installed muzzle brake. Receiver is retreated with some sort of matte finish.
    Any info on year of production and intended design use would be great. Thank you!
    PXL_20201106_024540371.jpg PXL_20201106_024534547.jpg PXL_20201106_024051173.jpg PXL_20201106_024116075.jpg PXL_20201106_024141117.jpg PXL_20201106_024301392.jpg PXL_20201106_024324290.jpg PXL_20201106_024353936.jpg

Stan the Gun man likes this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    There is no such thing as a "plunger style extractor", on any bolt action rifle I am familiar with. Could you show a picture of what you are calling an extractor? Your serial number suggests that it was made after "Common Numbering" change in 1991 & after the switch to the Tikka trigger in 1990. Exact date is impossible to discern, but it is definitely very late in the AV production, as the L691 started in 1992 with a serial number in the 830,000 range. Checking the trigger would confirm the 1990 or later date. The 416 Rem Mag is a dangerous game round & your rifle seems to be a extensively "customized" rifle based on someones personal desires. I have never seen a factory installed muzzle brake on a Sako. How did you determine it was "factory installed"? The barrel appears to be the sporter contour expected for a 416, not a "heavy barrel". The 416 is a fairly scarce caliber in a Sako. Thanks for sharing!

Charles Witt likes this.
  3. Charles Witt

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Thank you so much for the reply. I did not mean plunger style extractor, but was referring to the button style floor plate release!
    I'm also curious if the finish on the receiver was a factory finish. The gentleman that I bought it from said he bought it new and ordered the muzzle break from the factory. May not be accurate, of course.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I am not aware of the Sako factory ever having taken custom orders from private customers. They did make small quantity batches of rifles for distributors that had special features, like D.W. Custer(Australia) & GO Wholesale (USA). They made one of a kind rifles for presentation to an individual (famous person or retired employee) & Anniversary models in small quantities. But if yours is a custom from the Sako factory for an individual, it would be the first I ever heard of. The rear barrel mounted sight & the action finish look to be post factory custom work as well. I suspect the previous owner has "misremembered" some details. Maybe others more knowledgeable will offer opinions about these custom features.

Charles Witt likes this.
  5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I think the sight is factory. I've seen sights that look like that on other AV's. I've never seen or heard of a Sako factory installed muzzle brake. My best guess on that is that the customer ordered the brake, which was installed by a distributor or the shop's gunsmith, and for some reason though he was getting a factory job. The matte finish on the action is strange - I've never seen a matte action with a polished barrel. On the other hand, I can think of no reason why somebody would refinish the action only in matte, which would require removing and replacing the barrel. That makes no sense.

Charles Witt likes this.
  6. Stan the Gun man

Stan the Gun man Active Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Looks really nice me. I wouldn't mind owning it! :)

Charles Witt likes this.
  7. ROOSTER

ROOSTER Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    are those ALL your Sakos??? I am Jealous!

Charles Witt likes this.
  8. Charles Witt

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Lol. Hi Rooster.
    That's most of them. They are truly addictive! I own a few too many rifles and nothing speaks to me like a Sako.

9. Josey

Josey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Just bought my 1st and only sako. Love it

Charles Witt likes this.
  10. Charles Witt

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Congrats. That's awesome. What did you get? You should post pics in the show us your Sako section!

11. Josey

Josey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    FFA4A658-6E3D-4A73-AAF1-90A17AE6F7DB.jpeg 8677E1BA-2693-4493-9AAB-1B75F2B97874.jpeg 8C3158D4-DE11-48DF-9A35-039655C607C4.jpeg Think im gonna love it. Its a 270

Charles Witt likes this.