• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

375 H&H gun

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

KC-TOM

Hello everybody, my Sako name is KC-TOM and I’m a new kid on the block. My only Sako is a model 75 in 22-250. Wonderful Rifle. I have an opportunity to buy a L61R which is reputed to be a 375H&H. But the barrel is stamped only as Sako 375 Magnum. There is no reference to H&H. I’ve recently seen a L61R in 300H&H and the barrel is stamped as 300H&H. I’m confused as to why the 375 isn’t similarly stamped. I want the gun, but need to understand this situation. Don’t want to put H&H Ammo in the wrong gun. Would appreciate anyone’s help.
Thanks
KC-TOM

I would guess that the L61R in question is an early one, likely with a square tang on the floorplate and an open-centered nut on the stock crossbolt, along with a third rear locking lug on the bolt. Early Sakos did not specify "H&H" since the .375 H&H and .300 H&H were the only non-proprietary "magnums" in those calibers commonly in use at the time of manufacture in the early 1960's. Later L61R's (after the introduction of the .300 Winchester magnum) were stamped ".300 H&H Magnum" or ".375 H&H Magnum".

This assumes that the rifle you're looking at has its original barrel, which will have the Bofors Steel Stamp on the RH side and "Sako" above the radial caliber designation on the top of the barrel.

Sako didn't stamp the 300 H&H with the H&H until after the 300 Win Mag came out. When Sako made the early L61R in 375 they didn't stamp the H&H either. If the stamping is on top of the barrel just forward of the action & it says Sako & Cal 375 Mag it is a factory barrel chambered in the H&H version. If it is not a factory barrel, who knows. Some of these old rifles could have been rechambered by previous owners, so when in doubt, just have a chamber casting done to confirm. It a simple, cheap way to be certain. Any gunsmith can do it in about 30 minutes or if you are handy, buy some Cerrosafe & pour your own casting. I see where stone has answered as well while I was typing. Good luck!

Thanks Gentlemen: the gun is a fairly early model. Five digit serial number in low 50’s. The barrel is stamped SAKO and Cal 375 Magnum as Paulson Construction said it would be. Also appreciate further stonecreek explanation as to when H&H was and was not stamped. I will be buying the gun shortly.
KC-TOM

Stonecreek&paulsonconstruction:
Re: 375 H&H
Did more checking on the gun: the barrel definitely is marked as a Garcia Import, which started in Late 72 (per Internet) but the barrel doesn’t have H&H (just Sako cal 375 Magnum) which means it was prior to Sako introduction of 300 win mag. Is this possible? Greatly appreciate the help given thus far.

the barrel definitely is marked as a Garcia Import, which started in Late 72 (per Internet)
Goes to show why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Garcia began importing in 1971, not 1972. However, since Firearms International was still importing for much of 1971 some people assume that the changeover date to Garcia was 1972. As a matter of fact, they were both importing guns for an overlapping period of time in 1971.

Which is all irrelevant to your question. Sako never chambered any .375 cartridge other than the H&H version. If the barrel is factory marked ".375 Magnum" (radially, next to the front receiver ring), then it is a .375 H&H.

The Gracia/Pre-Gracia thing has been discussed in threads here that you may want to read. It is a false belief that somehow Sako changed the rifles based on a change in importers to the USA & that those changes happened at a certain time. The rest of the world has no idea what Garcia or Pre-Gracia means as they had different importers. How this thing started I have no idea but like a lot of myths in the gun world, it won't die & gets erroneously perpetuated by the unknowledgeable (and the Internet) all the time. Sako never changed anything on a specific date or because of an importer but always went through a transitional period when implementing changes. Any changes implemented close to the time of changing importers were coincidental, as evidence by some Firearms International imported rifles being the same as early Garcia imports & ,as stonecreek mentioned, they both were importing at the same time for a short period. This is the only site that has solid information on Sakos backed up with documentation. The rest of the internet is full of myths & misinformation, IMHO! It's best not to make judgements based on an import stamp. Enjoy your new rifle!!

Back