375 H&H FINNBEAR L61R - No. 500 000

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Russell Thompson, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Russell Thompson

Russell Thompson Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Hello

I have a 375 H&H magnum Finnbear L61R. with serial number 500 000.
    What year was this rifle manufactured and does this serial number mean anything specific?
    First of the range etc. Does anyone have an estimate on value of rifle?

Many thanks
    Russell Thompson

deergoose likes this.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
  3. Russell Thompson

Russell Thompson Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    on 9-5-74 they made a numbering change and started with 500001 so you might have an odd duck. Sako's serial numbering system has a lot of curiosities as is.[/QUOTE]
    Hi

Ye i saw that the number system changed, i was confused as my number doesnt fall into any range in the table.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The web page that information comes from carries a disclaimer that states that the information on it is "indicative", by which is meant "approximate".

Your rifle is apparently the first numbered in the new scheme (the previous L61R numbering cut off below 100,000). Its very round number makes it something of a curiosity, but I know of no one who collects Sakos or pays a premium based on the novelty of a serial number. Maybe someone born 19 April 1959 might enjoy having serial number 19459 (19-4-59), but otherwise serial numbers are only valued as a method of identification, and if within the range on which the Club has records, for finding the exact date of manufacture and interesting things like where a gun was originally shipped.

I may be one of the few exceptions on serial numbers, but that's because I've been able to stumble across three Sakos (of different models, of course), all with the same serial number. I'm hoping that I might eventually find an L57 and a VL63 with that same four-digit number to complete my set. Hmmm. . . . there might even be a Triace out there with that number. But again, that specific serial number is of no particular value to anyone but me.