• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

308 L579 Mannlicher with 23.5" barrel

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello all-

First off, I love the forum. I've been a member for a while, but only a lurker up until know. I've been interested in Sakos for a while, but have just purchased my first two over the last few months. Both of them are mannlicher-style, one in 243 (serial #88,XXX) and a 308 (serial #99,000). I purchased the 308 online and it was described as having a 19" barrel. Well, I wanted to compare the front sights and other features with the 243, so I had them both out and side-by-side, and that is when I noticed that the 308 had a longer barrel. Being a relative novice, my mind raced. I grabbed a measuring tape. Sure enough, the 308 barrel measures ~23.5 inches. What can you experts tell me about production/availability of 23.5" foresters from this time period? Is total production information for different configurations available? If I was to purchase the factory records service, would I get that information? Thanks!

The L46's were fairly common with 23.6" barrels, but the long-barreled L461's were somewhat less common. I've run across a few .243's Mannlichers with the 23" barrel, but a long-barreled .308 like yours is very scarce in my experience. Great find!

Agree. You've got a rare bird there, that's for sure. They made a few L579s Mannlichers with the long barrel, but very early and some with one-piece full stocks. A full rifle length fullstock from the late '60s or early '70s is scarce. Probably worth getting the records pulled, just for giggles.

Nice find.
DeerGoose

Here are a few pics of my two Sakos. The top is the 308. The 308 has the flat-bottomed wood in front of the barrel band while the 243 has the more rounded wood. Notice the different sight hoods. I'm assuming both are correct. Is that right?

Love the pics! The .308s have cross-bolts, the .243s do not. Not too sure about that .308 hood being correct though. Too bad for the seller that he gave up money and advertised the rifle with a 19" tube, but good news for you. Great find indeed!

I believe the sight hood on the 308 to be a model 72 hood. Not absolutely sure but sure looks like one. The original hood may have been lost and replaced with what could be obtained. Jim

IMO, that hood is original. It's a late FI and Garcia hood. All of my L61R Mannlichers built in 1971 have that hood.

Super nice rifles, you should be proud!
thanks for sharing.
DeerGoose

Back