300 wsm head space

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by outdoor, Aug 18, 2019.

1. outdoor

outdoor Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    So I purchased a Grey Wolf to add to the collection. My issue is reloading the 300wsm..Lee dies are brand new (never used Lee before). Resized once shot Federal ammo. So I have the bolt sliding free (extractor & pin removed) Place the brass into the chamber and the bolt closes hard. Trying to "move" the shoulder back but there is no adjustment beyond the die touching (firmly) the shell holder. Has anyone had the bottom of the die shaved 1-2 thousands to allow the case to travel up into the die more ? I also notice you can by shell holders that are different thickness so a thinner shell holder will allow the case to enter further into the die and achieve the same thing. Correct ? All other calibers I reload are fine and I have never had these issues. I understand once shot ammo is the perfect chamber size but that means changing dies now to neck only..right?

2. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I had the same exact problem with 7mm WSM using Lee dies and once shot brass that came with rifle. Without going into great detail, Redding competition shell holders helped but still not to my liking. Bought new RCBS dies for reloading and problem solved on existing once shot brass that came with rifle and new brass shot in rifle for first reload. Problem still existed on this brass with Lee. You know rest of story.