300 Holland and Holland Handloads for L61r

Discussion in 'Handloads for all Sako models' started by Saguaro, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Saguaro

Saguaro Active Member

Country Flag:
    Spain
    State/Region:
    AU Aboriginal
    Fine, I got it. As I mention before I have previous experience with over a thousand reloads in .308 Win and other smaller cases but this 300H&H case opens a new perspective of handloading to me.

To begin with, its very surprising, at least to me, that apparently I'm getting more velocity with less powder and less recoil than with the 300 Win Mag.

To-day I tested a Frontier 185 FN in 300H&H seated very deep into the case with COL only 81.5mm
    185 g with 64 g of N-160 and got------- 864 mps /2834 fps

According to Vihta page, in 300 Win Mag:
    185 g Mega RN --- with Max charge of 70,7 g of N-160 ----859 mps /2818 fps

Does the 300 H&H gives more than the 300 Win Mag for less powder and recoil ? 0r is my Chrony seduced by the beauty of the rifle cartridge combo and exaggerating the velocities ?

The primer shows a more prominent crater however bolt extraction wasn't harder, recoil moderated , on the other hand..... I have found with a magnified glass a few tiny shaves of brass getting into the ejector and extractor cavities

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The slightly larger case of the .300 Win over the .300 H&H allows a bit higher velocity (with more powder) when both have reached the same pressures. The H&H version will yield similar velocities with a bit less powder, but pressures will be marginally higher. It is only when the optimum powder is used at the optimum pressure that the larger case provides higher velocities than the smaller case.

Also, barrel and chamber features vary enough that a "fast barreled" .300 H&H will be faster than a "slow barreled" .300 Win Mag. It is only on average that the larger case provides more velocity. Any of the .30 caliber "Magnums" -- .300 WSM, .308 Norma, .300 H&H, .300 Win, .300 WBY -- will be within 100 fps or so of each other with most bullets when the averages are done. (However, the smaller WSM does so with a thick and hard case head to allow somewhat higher pressures.)

Saguaro likes this.
  3. Saguaro

Saguaro Active Member

Country Flag:
    Spain
    State/Region:
    AU Aboriginal
    After some test being done I decided this hunting load:

Sierra 220 RN + 57,5 Vihta N-160. about 750 m/s ---2460 fps--

This load is intended for hunting European wild boar at less than 100 meters.

One of the reasons for upgrading from .308 to a heavier bullet in 300 H&H is trying to get more punch after some complicating trackings and animal recovery in heavy bush even with both lungs and heart shot with good bullet such as Lapua Mega. Sometimes European wild boar are hard to kill fast.

I hope this Sierra 220 RN works fine. Hunting season starts soon here !

Comments and observations are welcome !

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    While you might get a little more velocity if you pushed it, there is really no reason to do so. That velocity is about the same as the traditional 220 grain load in a .30-06 which is adequate for the biggest and most truculent boar you'll ever come across, particularly if ranges or only 100 meters or so.

5. Saguaro

Saguaro Active Member

Country Flag:
    Spain
    State/Region:
    AU Aboriginal
    3 shots to zero the scope for 50 meters, not exact zero but good enough to me.....

Stonecreek, you are quite right it only took one shot to instantly kill a big european boar. It looks to me, under the same circumstances, faster kill, more effective than the .308. It's not nice when it takes time for the animal to die.
    Anyway, too soon to say since it's my first hunting experience with the 300 H&H.

Nevertheless, the experience of hunting with this Sako L61 is more intense than hunting with a modern rifle, deeper .... difficult to explain with words....

Attached Files: