.280 Ackley Improved

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Bucktote, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi fellow Sako Fans!
    I have again been smitten by a Lupold scoped, left hand Delux Sako AV. It is listed for $1,300 + and has been rebarreled to a .280 Ackley improved. I don't know anything about that cartridge and may want to rebarrel it, but what cals. are compatable with that action? I would really like a 25/06 barrel on it, Does this seem to be a money pit??? B/T

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I wouldn’t consider it a money pit but it will come with more significant investment on your part. $1300. for the set up + $650. +\- for a barrel brings you in at just under 2k. A good barrel like a Pac-Nor or equivalent should provide excellent results- hopefully. Personally if you don’t have the skills, then I’d send the action to the barrel maker for the work, unless you have a smith you trust completely. The action is suitable for a variety of cartridges in the .30-06 family as well as others. Another way of looking at it is this, go out and price a full custom rifle, in my opinion 2k may be well spent. BTW .280 AI is an awesome and versatile cartridge. I might recommend picking up the rifle and shooting it to see what results it may provide. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Bucktote and CerebralDistortion like this.
  3. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I had the same type of adventure several years ago with a Ruger with a non concentric chamber in 7X57 Mauser. I ran a reamer into it and made it an Ackley Imp. All I needed to do to make the brass was to fire regular 7X57 cartridges and the pressure would blow out the cases to match the chamber. From then on I just needed to neck size the cases to reload in 7mm AI. I do remember that it kicked the snot out of me so I gave it to my brother......He loves it. All you need is time and patience with an A.I. I would do something else, but I'm "no fun" anymore, either.

4. CerebralDistortion

CerebralDistortion Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    Check the chamber to see what version of AI it is. There are som "home made" chamberings that creates some confusion as to what to expect.

There is the SAAMI spec and if it is so, no worries. There is factory loads from several manufacturers and dies if you are reloading.

If it is some other varieties with basically the same dimensions. But again, check to make sure.

Anyway, if it is correctly done, use regular 280 Rem ammo. It will not be as fast, but accuracy most often isn't any less.

Other than the scarcity of factory ammo, my opinion is that it beats the 30-06 in every way. Unless, of course, you want to use 180+ grain bullets.

Near 7mm RM velocities (about 100 fps slower) gives a flat shooting rifle. Do a YouTube search, it has quite a following.

Mine sends 150 gr jhp bullets down range at 3180 fps and that is not a hot load by a good margin.

5. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thank you all for the response,
    The main features FOR Buying: I'm left eye dominant- left hand rifle
    Never had a left hand rifle
    Love Delux wood & rifles
    Love Lupold scopes & mount set-up

Reasons for NOT buying: Have two 30/06 rifles