264 Win mag questions

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by hanco1, Nov 12, 2020.

1. hanco1

hanco1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    i have a couple Sako’s in 264. Mine have 26” barrels. Are these rare? I mostly see 264’s with 24” barrels. I assume the earlier rifles had a 26”, then they went with a 24. Why would they do that? One has a white line spacer. Is that factory or was it added?? The rifle with no spacer has a 3 digit serial, rifle with spacer is around 2200.

Thanks for replies!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020

2. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Judging by their appearance pending better photos, you have two very collectible Sakos which are desirable to the Sako .264 Win Mag aficionados. The .264 Winchester Magnum caliber was wrongly maligned as a barrel burner after the 7mm Rem Mag hit the market. The early Sakos with 26" barrels are more collectible due to scarcity. The double white line spacers are also rare and very attractive to some collectors. Now if you had a deluxe model with the rare engraved Buffalo, Grizzly or other floor-plates you would be even more fortunate. Enjoy them as you wish. If well cared for they will be good for many years as capable of taking down any North American non dangerous game and still maintain their value. As stated many times on this web-site, value can only be determined by an acceptable price between buyer and seller. Being somewhat rare your rifles are not often seen for sale, but value can be roughly determined by following the paid prices on the internet auction sites. Check with Sako Source, a member of the Sako Collectors Club. Sakojim.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The .264 chambering generally brings a premium and the 26" barrel also brings a premium, so you are quite lucky to own them. Nice scope selections, also.

4. hanco1

hanco1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks, found these in the classifieds on the Campfire forum, a 270and a 30-06 also.