.243 loads

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by Tracy Redpath, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I'm going to start loading for a 85 Carbine in .243 Win. so I'm wondering what bullet weight you guys have found that is fairly accurate in a 20 in barrel. I have Viht N140,VihtN160, IMR 4064,H4350 IMR4381 and a few others in that burning rate

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I use 100 gr Nos Part or Horn and a mid charge of IMR 4350 (I also use magnum primers - hence backing off max charge slightly), I have 2 SAKO 243's and a few friends that shoot 243 also, Load just works and deer don't live to complain about anything.

Tracy Redpath likes this.
  3. Tracy Redpath

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Thanks. I've got some 95 grain Partitions on the way as I've read the BC is a little better. Some 85 gr Sierra BTHP's and i have the usual powders plus a few new ones to try.

4. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Tr
    I do not use HP on deer size animals in my 243. I am looking for penetration. This excludes Barnes TSX but I do not use them small calibers.
    I am in Mexico deer hunting now, hence may not receive emails except under the best of conditions

I will be here until 19th. When back please feel free to make contact cell text me first so I know it is not the call rooms we get daily

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  5. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Tomball, Where in Mexico and what deer are you hunting?

I also prefer not to use HP on deer, same reason, 100 gr partitions and Horn interlock (?) just drives through them and they fall quickly. Plus my rifles just like the load....

6. Bottom Gun

Bottom Gun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    This is a fairly new cartridge to me as well but so far I’ve gotten excellent accuracy with H4831SC, IMR4350 and H335 with 85 gr Speer BTSP, 85 gr Partitions, 95 gr Fusion and 100 gr Partitions. IMR 4064 produced some acceptable groups while Varget was a disappointment.
    Rifles used were Tikka T3X and Sako Deluxe L579.

Tracy Redpath likes this.
  7. Tracy Redpath

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I have had a few .243 Rifles before. A .243 700 liked 80 gr. Sierra Varmint bullets atop IMR4064. And a Ruger #1 that never would show its preference. I was just looking at other options for bullets. I have a pretty well stocked reloading store by me

8. Bottom Gun

Bottom Gun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I’ve been concentrating on the heavier hunting bullets for this caliber. The Partitions are always good if they’ll shoot for you. I’ve always had good accuracy with Partitions in .30 and .33 caliber as well.

We have been testing bullets for accuracy and terminal performance in both .243 and .223. We’ve found the Gold Dot/Fusion bullets are really outstanding in both areas. I loaded some 95 gr Fusions in .243 and loved them.
    We’re getting classic mushrooms with good weight retention and surprising penetration, particularly in .223.

If you can find some Gold Dots/Fusions, I think you’ll like them.

9. Bottom Gun

Bottom Gun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Below are two 95 gr Fusion bullet hand loads from my Sako .243. They were shot into water jugs at just over 2900 fps. Not real high tech but the best I can do.
    Penetration at 100 yd appeared to be approx 20” of water and they expanded to .595” and .664”. They look to be very promising hunting bullets.
    I‘ll weigh them later but it looks like they retained most of their weight. Now I’m very curious to see how these perform at longer range like 250 yd and I also want to see how similar weight Nosler Partitions compare.
    DSC_0693.JPG DSC_0696.JPG DSC_0692.JPG

susanna likes this.
  10. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Grey Fox,
    Saw your post about loading .243. I have some Nos. part. in 95 gr. Will the 100 Gr. stabalize better due to possible longer length ? I will try the 100 Horn. and the 95 gr. Bal. Tip. when I can get to the farm, we had 3-3/4 in. in the rain guage. My Inter arms MK X .243 likes Fed. Prem. in 100 Gr. BTS. I will post my results & share with you & all. I love my Forester can't wait to try it when my hands feel better and the range drys out.

bucktote
    Savannah GA

11. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Grayfox update !
    Delema, 10 yearold niece while driving ATV not looking where she was going, ran over our shooting table & chair platform. Luckly she was not hurt badly but destroyed all but the concrete pad it was bolted on. Will erect a new bench & seat out of concrete block & surface bonding cement soon. Also just traded for new Leupold VX3 HD 4.5 X 14 x 40mm CDS-ZL, need PHD in ballistics to zero & set up scope with Chronograph for special turret to be furnished. Seems a lot for this old man ? Still have not fired my Forester !! Anxious to try several .243 loadings. Freezeing temps at the farm tonight, hope no frozen pipes. Seems things were simpiler when I was younger.

12. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Where is your farm?

I'm in Pooler.

13. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Bulloch County.

14. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia

15. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Dump that scope & get a 6x fixed. It will do anything your 243 is capable of & be "simpler". Gadgetry gone wild has consumed us my friend. It ain't that hard, why make it that way? If you can't hit a game animal with a 243 & a 6x scope within the range limitations of that cartridge, you need to "rethink" things. Just food for thought! There is absolutely no need to turn dials when hunting with a 243. If your quarry is that far away, even if you hit it, you don't have the energy to kill it anyway!

16. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia

Typically, the faster the rate, the lighter the bullet. thus IN THEORY th 95 grain will stabilize in a slightly faster twist than th 100, That's THEORY,

Here's the PRACTICAL: It's not the WEIGHT of the bullet, it's the LENGTH. Think of it this way: You throw a NFL Sized Football, a High School sized ball, and a Junior League football, Dod you throw them the same for maximun spiral (stability), No, of course you don't, Now a Javelin, a spear, and an arrow, would you spin them the same??
    I have not measureed a 95 gr BT, previously I'd said that any difference in length PROBABLY wouldn't be descernable by the average shooter, HOWEVER that schanged about a month ago (NEVER stop learning,,,).

My 300 shoots great, no doubt, I was blowing off some rounds, and confirming zero, and she REALLY likes 168 Barnes, So much so I thought it was a fluke, until I put 4 and 5 right in there too..... Barnes are non-lead, thus LONGER than a lead bullet..]

I agree with Paul about too much scope, HOWEVER, your rifle, your $$, your property, have fun!! Enjoy...

If you need a hand on your farm, give me a call. I'll shoot my number to you on PM.

17. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Wouldn't it be the other way around? The 100 grain or "longer" bullet would need a ever so slightly faster twist than the shorter 95 grainer. Of course, in the real world barrels are made with a twist that will adequately stabilize both.

18. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    In the past, I've found that the JBM Ballistics website is very useful.

19. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    You got that right. Just think 244 Remington and 6MM Remington. 1-14 twist as compared to 1-9.

20. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Yes, It would,

Coffee had not yet kicked in and I wrote that EXACTLY backwards, Slower twist for heavier bullets.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021