.243 loads

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by Tracy Redpath, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I'm going to start loading for a 85 Carbine in .243 Win. so I'm wondering what bullet weight you guys have found that is fairly accurate in a 20 in barrel. I have Viht N140,VihtN160, IMR 4064,H4350 IMR4381 and a few others in that burning rate

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I use 100 gr Nos Part or Horn and a mid charge of IMR 4350 (I also use magnum primers - hence backing off max charge slightly), I have 2 SAKO 243's and a few friends that shoot 243 also, Load just works and deer don't live to complain about anything.

Tracy Redpath likes this.
  3. Tracy Redpath

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Thanks. I've got some 95 grain Partitions on the way as I've read the BC is a little better. Some 85 gr Sierra BTHP's and i have the usual powders plus a few new ones to try.

4. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Tr
    I do not use HP on deer size animals in my 243. I am looking for penetration. This excludes Barnes TSX but I do not use them small calibers.
    I am in Mexico deer hunting now, hence may not receive emails except under the best of conditions

I will be here until 19th. When back please feel free to make contact cell text me first so I know it is not the call rooms we get daily

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Tomball, Where in Mexico and what deer are you hunting?

I also prefer not to use HP on deer, same reason, 100 gr partitions and Horn interlock (?) just drives through them and they fall quickly. Plus my rifles just like the load....

6. Bottom Gun

Bottom Gun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    This is a fairly new cartridge to me as well but so far I’ve gotten excellent accuracy with H4831SC, IMR4350 and H335 with 85 gr Speer BTSP, 85 gr Partitions, 95 gr Fusion and 100 gr Partitions. IMR 4064 produced some acceptable groups while Varget was a disappointment.
    Rifles used were Tikka T3X and Sako Deluxe L579.

Tracy Redpath likes this.
  7. Tracy Redpath

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I have had a few .243 Rifles before. A .243 700 liked 80 gr. Sierra Varmint bullets atop IMR4064. And a Ruger #1 that never would show its preference. I was just looking at other options for bullets. I have a pretty well stocked reloading store by me

8. Bottom Gun

Bottom Gun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I’ve been concentrating on the heavier hunting bullets for this caliber. The Partitions are always good if they’ll shoot for you. I’ve always had good accuracy with Partitions in .30 and .33 caliber as well.

We have been testing bullets for accuracy and terminal performance in both .243 and .223. We’ve found the Gold Dot/Fusion bullets are really outstanding in both areas. I loaded some 95 gr Fusions in .243 and loved them.
    We’re getting classic mushrooms with good weight retention and surprising penetration, particularly in .223.

If you can find some Gold Dots/Fusions, I think you’ll like them.