Short Actions .223 vs .222 Magazine

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Pmangelos, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Pmangelos

Pmangelos Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I have a Colt Coltsman in .223 Remington (barrel marked Made in Finland), can anyone tell me if the L46 .222 magazines will work in this rifle?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
  3. Joe Mangelos

Joe Mangelos Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Do you know what the problem might be and could it be corrected easily? It is not a collector situation as I have an original I would just like to have a spare when shooting prairie dogs.

4. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Get a 222 magnum magazine...

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That will be expensive. Original factory mags for the L469 (the "stretch" L46 made for .222 Magnum) sell for $200 and up - when you can find them at all, which is seldom. Who knows, you might get lucky and find a spare Coltsman mag on eBay for less than a Sako .222 Magnum magazine.

The L46 action and its detachable mag are a bit too short for .222 Magnum or .223, which is why Sako built the stretch actions. The L461 is slightly longer than the L46. A .223 Coltsman with a detachable mag must be based on the L469 (although it might be stamped L46, L469, or no model number at all). A .223 Coltsman on the early action must be a pretty rare bird - I Googled around for a reference and all the images I could find were of L461 actions, which of course do not have a detachable magazine.

6. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    The center rifle is a 223 made from a 222 L46 and uses a 222 magnum magazine. I have been shooting it for years with that conversion...
    886774B2-CFAF-4430-904B-9779604C3778.jpeg

7. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks for posting that. I didn't know a .222 Magnum magazine would even fit into a standard length L46 action, or that a .223 would feed. I'll have to try that out with a couple of my guns.

And by the way, that is one beautiful rifle! (as are the other two in the photo)

northernlights likes this.
  8. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Coupla beauties! Love a nice gun. Love using a nice gun even more. They aren't made to sit in a dark place to be petted.

9. mlesh

mlesh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    This is off the subject but, what do you use to clean the wood and get the shine on you rifles? Thanks mike

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  10. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The L469 is merely a slightly modified L46 & some of the early 222 Magnums were actually stamped L46. The difference is in the bottom metal length & opening, the length of the magazine, the size of the action opening where the magazine fits, & the location of the bolt stop/ejector. The action bodies themselves are the same. The mods were to allow the 1/10" longer 222 Mag to feed & eject from the L46 action body. A 222 Mag magazine will not fit the 222 Rem bottom metal & vice versa.

11. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Those are custom rifles with hand rubbed oil finish. I like it better than the lacquer finish...

12. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Very attractive. What kind of oil was used?

13. mlesh

mlesh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I have a couple of L46 that the finish is cloudy. I wasn't sure what would work best to clean the finish

14. Rogan Kinnear

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Where did you get the stocks? They are lovely and whoever did them did a great job. I'm no Sako expert but I didn't pick up they not factory sako. 99% of the stocks im currently looking at to replace on my L579 just don't look the part.

15. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I use Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner. Any good automotive cleaner wax would also work. If those are older L46 rifles with an oil finish, you could use a neutral (unstained) cleaner/polish made for oil-finished wood furniture, or even Watco Rejuvenating Oil, depending on how much work the wood needs. Some late L46 rifles had the later-style Monte Carlo stocks and high-gloss varnish finish. Oil-based products should not be used on these stocks, as they will just sit on the surface and not penetrate as they would on a real oil finish.

mlesh likes this.
  16. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Those are all custom stocks with American Walnut from Dennis Olson in Plains, Montana. I wanted good wood and he provided that and did all the other work to make 4 varmint rifles with 2 L57 and 2 L46 actions with Lilja barrels...

17. Rogan Kinnear

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Cracka! They look well worth the investment.