.222 Magnum SAKO - SN 49197 with 24X Leupold scope

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by big-hunter, Oct 16, 2012.

1. big-hunter

big-hunter New Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Hello All, new to the group. Looking to help out my dad who has a .222 magnum SAKO SN 49197 with Leupold 24x scope. I don't know much about SAKO's and my dad doesn't have internet. The barrel is thick and has SAKO Riihimaiki and Bofors stamped on it. The stock is heavy with beautiful grain. The gun is in beautiful condition. I believe the original owner used it for competition shooting. You may notice the bolt is missing from the gun, but I have it. It has the SN etched on it and was wondering if it came from the factory that way. The safety is on the right side on the bolt. Can anyone provide a fair-market-value for this gun?
    I appologize in advance for the poor pictures. Guess I should get a better camera :).
    Greg (aka big-hunter)

Attached Files:

• P1.JPG
      P1.JPG
      File size:
      220.9 KB
      Views:
    • P2.JPG
      P2.JPG
      File size:
      222.6 KB
      Views:

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Big-Hunter- Looks like your dad had a modified bench rifle and it was set up to shoot targets. The stock is non Sako but very reminiscent of the day when Fajan and Bishop ruled the custom stock scene. Bet it will still shoot "Lights Out" today.-Misako

3. big-hunter

big-hunter New Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    misako50, makes sense its a bench rifle. Dad said the original owner shot competion matches with it and included all the reloading supplies and recipes.
    'Lights Out' indeed, first time I got to put my hands on this gun I shot 5 rounds inside a 3/8 circle at 100 yards, my dad is better yet. A lot of fun to shoot.
    Any idea of value?
    Big-hunter

4. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Big- I would need a very clear crystal ball , not to mention better pics, and I still wouldn't come up with a good value for it. It is in excess of $600 I would think.

5. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your scope is worth about 400.00. On the rifle several factors come into play. Is it the original barrel, what condition is the metal, ie rust, scratches etc. Any extra holes anywhere, ie barrel and action. Trigger looks after market, is the mag original or after market. Unfortunately the rifle would be worth more with an original stock in average condition. Used actions by themselves can run 350-500, depending on the condition and the stamp on the bottom of the mag. As you can see it's hard when someone asks, "how much?", there's so much that goes into determining a value, not to mention the geographic area you want to sell it in. With detailed pics we can get you pretty close, without pics and info it's crystal ball time. Welcome to SCC.

6. big-hunter

big-hunter New Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    cmjr, thanks for this info. I will give it a better look and get more pictures loaded this weekend.
    I was under the assumption this gun was all original. I know the trigger was set lighter than 'hair trgigger' when dad got the gun, pretty dangerous. He had to adjust it so it wasn't so sensative.
    Thanks again!
    big-hunter

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As said, more info is needed. But, if the barrel has "Bofors" stamped on it & it also has "Sako 222 mag" stamped on top of the barrel just ahead of the action, it "could" be an original barreled action. If L469 is not stamped on the action near the serial # it "could" be a L46 that Sako modified for the longer 222 mag cartridge prior to using the L469 stamping to denote that modification. Not having the original stock severely affects any collector value, but it still has value for someone looking for a donor rifle to do a custom build. Rifles like this are worth what a willing buyer & a willing seller agree to. Like cmjr said, the little things will affect the price.

8. big-hunter

big-hunter New Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Right in the middle of my reply (two days ago) McAfee decided to block this site. Finally figured out how to get back.
    The replies above are all good stuff. Thanks! Upon closer inspection the barrel does have Bofors Steel stamped on the right side. Unfortunately the scope mount covers most of the barrel ahead of the action. I can see the SAKO markings to the left of the scope mount and MAGN. on the right side so I have to assume it says SAKO 222 directly under the scope mount. There is no L469 stamped on the action. The line with serial number states “SAKO Riihimaki N:eek: 49197” followed by the same two SAKO markings that are on the barrel near the scope mount. There is a small (about 1/8”) hole in left side of the action just ahead of and below SAKO, no scratches in the bluing with very minor surface rust on the barrel directly under the scope. The magazine has ‘Cal. 222 MAGNUM’ stamped on it with no other markings. The left side of the trigger has a marking that looks like MHC inside a circle. From what I found online, SN 49197 was manufactured sometime early 1961. If this is true the guns is old than me 
    I will borrow a better camera and get some pictures up this weekend. I appreciate all the input.

9. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Looks like you have something similar to what I bought a couple years ago. I found a L46 Varmint or Heavy Barrel as some call them with a very nice custom stock in 222 Rem. The action & barrel were absolutely pristine so I bought it for $700. Finding an original stock for any L46 is very difficult & finding one for the Varmint version more so. I would say your gun (less scope) falls close to what I paid for mine in value. Possibly a little more as it is a less common version being a 222 Rem Mag. If it had the original stock it could "possibly" double in value, depending on condition. The 222 Rem Mag ammo & brass are getting harder & harder to find & this will get worse as time passes. So, if you want to shoot & use this rifle, rebarreling to 223 Rem or other small cal that will fit the action is an option. As the gun was used by a "competition" shooter it probably shoots very good as is. Have you tried it? I converted my L46 to 221 Rem Fireball & my L469 (bought without the original barrel or stock) to 6X45mm with great results. They are my two favorite Sakos.

10. big-hunter

big-hunter New Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Yes, dad shoots this gun at the range occasionally. It still shoots great and is amazingly accurate. First time I got to shoot it (from the bench) I laid 5 rounds in a 3/8 circle at 100 yards. Dad got several hundred cases and all reloading dies, along with the powder/bullet combinations original owner used for different competitions. Couple times a year we get together and re-load what we’ve burned up. That’s great fun too. Not sure how true this is, but I heard the original owner could hit the bullseye at 1000 yards. Pretty hard to believe….
    Now I am wondering if someone can post of picture of a SAKO stock that would have come new with this gun.

11. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The rifle is evidently still very accurate, however, hitting targets at a 1000 yards with a 222 Rem Mag is stretching things a little bit. Kinda like "the one that got away" story. If you had IDEAL conditions & where able to dial in the scope, which is probably not possible without some mount modifications to allow enough scope adjustment, it could be done. But until I see someone do it first hand, I'm not buying that "tale". If you have the brass & can reload, by all means shoot & enjoy it as it is. Any rifle that shoots 3/8" groups is a keeper. I'm sure someone here has a L46 Varmint with original stock that can post some pics. Look thru the forum archives & you can probably see one or get on some of the auction web sites where one is for sale.The L461 & L579 Varmints have very similar stocks. The fore arm widens out just ahead of the action & has a fairly flat bottomed to facilitate shooting off off bags. The buttstock is fairly straight combed and most have a pancake or other style cheek piece. Various versions of it exist depending on the period. If your scope mount base protrudes over the barrel you probably have some conglomeration that is not the best system & detracts from the rifles value. Hopefully, whoever installed them didn't drill holes in the top of the dovetails to mount them. If so, it has devalued your action. Everyone has opinions on this, but I put a $250 dollar discount on any holes drilled in Sako dovetails. Dump those bases & get some ringmounts by Leupold or Sako & mount the scope as it was intended to be, directly to the dovetails.

12. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Bighunter- I'll post a picture of what the stock should look like w/sporter barrel. You may have a heavy barrel, so the stock would be different yet. I'll post the pic tomorrow.--Misako

13. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Sporter stock to match later Riihimaki serial number. pix539466348.jpg

14. big-hunter

big-hunter New Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Misko, thanks for the picture. This gun has a heavy barrel. I got better pictures of the trigger, barrel markings, SN, muzzle end, and bolt. I hope they all load ok.

Attached Files:

15. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    If you can find an early L461 or L579 with heavy barrels, the stock will have the same form as one would with the later Riihimaki heavy barrel. The differences would be in the bottom metal areas of course.-Misako

16. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Very nice, the bolt has been jeweled which doesn't help and a serious buyer will want a look under those Weaver bases. They have a bad rep for gouging the dovetails when someone attempts to tighten them, a practice that's not needed as they are self tightening. The trigger is a Canjar set, the initials are of the designer and manufacturer(Matt Canjar). That trigger by itself will bring well over 300.00. That rifle is a very unique piece and worth the trouble of finding a correct stock for it. First thing I would do is take off those bases and make sure the dovetails are not gouged or hiding holes that someone drilled in them, then throw the bases away, very far away. Not being a Canjar fan I would also replace the trigger, realize the gain by selling that trigger, it would probably give you enough to buy an original stock and trigger and return that girl to her former glory, yep...that's what I would do. At that point the value of that rifle would probably double, or you could save your money and invest it in E series savings bonds since everyone will tell you that they are not good investments.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  17. big-hunter

big-hunter New Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Thanks for all the great information and advice. Not sure if dad will put'r back to stock or not. He really likes the way it shoots now, but I will be forwarding all this to him. We'll see what he says.
    big-hunter