1971 L579 Deluxe .308 Garcia? or PreGarcia? or not?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by jabberwock, Jul 12, 2019.

1. jabberwock

jabberwock Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Howdy - I have read a bunch of stuff on Bofors and Garcia, but what if my Sako L579 .308 Forester Deluxe was purchased in 1972 in England? It has the fancy light wood Monte Carlo stock and the impala floor plate. No Bofors stamp, but it was not imported to the US until after it was purchased (by my Pops). I have never seen a .308 with the impala floor plate.

It does not seem fair to call it a pre or post Garcia since it was not "imported" to the US before it was purchased. I am curious as to any insight that the members here may have on this particular rifle. Pops still hunts with it. It is a fantastic weapon! Thanks for looking!

deergoose likes this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Garcia & pre-Garcia are terms used only by Americans to differentiate between importers & certain changes Sako made around the time importers changed. The rest of the world didn't have the same importers & the importers didn't change, so the terms have no meaning to them. There have been some threads here about what features pre-Garcia & Garcia rifles are claimed to have that are enlightening & worth reading. Bottom line is that Sako made changes to their rifles over a time period that was roughly coincidental to when they changed importers from Firearms International (FI) to Garcia. People then started erroneously associating the changes being caused or mandated by the importer & tried to draw a definitive line for when these changes occurred as being when importers changed. Facts are that late FI imports showed the same changes as the early Garcia imports, so like everything Sako, the line is spread out over time & the changes had nothing to do with importers. Yours is obviously a Deluxe model & the Sakolope (impala, as you call it) is one of the most common floorplate engravings. The changes made by Sako during that time period were mainly in barrel contour & stock shape, so the only way to tell with your rifle is to find an earlier one & compare. If your rifle was made in 1972 I'm guessing it could possibly show the changes Sako made, but who knows when it left the factory & how long it sat on the shelf. The changes could have been over a different time frame with the Deluxe models as well. Others here can probably add more insight.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    deergoose and ricksengines like this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Nope. Paulson pegged it on the "pre-Garcia/Garcia" issue, and everything else.

Sometimes people will refer to "pre-1972" Sakos, but that is only an approximation of when some of the modifications started showing up. Others tend to divide them into "Bofors" and "non-Bofors", but again, both Bofors-marked barrels and unmarked barrels can be found on rifles with overlapping dates of inspection and varying modifications.

Each Sako is something of an individual. Rifles in identical calibers and configurations inspected on the same day can exhibit slightly different features (barrel markings, bottom metal, number of locking lugs, etc.)

deergoose likes this.
  4. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    One more change that occurred in the early 70's was that Sako begin to use a little more attractive wood on the Deluxe Sporters. Quite a few have beautiful wood.

deergoose likes this.
  5. jabberwock

jabberwock Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Awesome, great info. I am thankful for all of your knowledge. I am pretty sure the rifle was manufactured in 1971, purchased in 1972. You say the "Sakolope" was the most common engraving. Is that true for the .308 caliber? I have never seen another one.

Here is a cool note. We still have the original box...
    I owe you guys some pictures, it will take me a couple days but I will get them posted, many thanks!

Norway.375 and deergoose like this.
  6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The L579 in 308 Win, as well as the 22-250 & 220 Swift, was made in far fewer numbers than the 243 Win. The number of Deluxes in 308 is probably relatively low as well, so seeing one regardless of engraving is not common. The Sakolope, in general, is very common throughout the Deluxe models so I don't think that would make a 308 with that engraving more desirable than any other. Other opinions may vary.

deergoose likes this.
  7. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yes. At one time I had a dozen or so dlx .308s, and most of them had the Sakolope. The early L579s exhibited different patterns, but that can be said for any of the early rifles.

DeerGoose

8. Johan Duvenhage

Johan Duvenhage Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi Some pics of my 308 win also not sure if it's a Forester deluxe or not,maybe someone can help me ,nevertheless great rifle. Serial number is 58XXX
    Thx

Attached Files:

Norway.375 and deergoose like this.
  9. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Johan: Your rifle is a standard sporter from the 1960's. The Deluxe models had blonde wood with rosewood forearm tip & grip cap, skip line checkering, floorplate/trigger guard engraving & a highly polished blued finish. Pictures of Deluxes are abundant on our site. The serial number indicates it is within the range that the club has factory records for. So you can request the info by clicking on Factory Records Service in the upper left of this page.

Johan Duvenhage likes this.
  10. Johan Duvenhage

Johan Duvenhage Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Thx Paul I'll going to shoot them a email

11. sakorick

sakorick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri

12. sakorick

sakorick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    First off, Sako lost a lawsuit in 1968 and had to never mark their rifles with the Bofors Steel ever again. Second, as for me I wouldn't give a hoot if it were a pre Garcia or not. The Garcia era rifles had beefier barrels and it's my experience they shoot better groups that the older ones. Lastly, I have a record and pictures of SN 86955 a 69-70 .308 rifle that has the Impala so I guess they switch it over around that time. I never did like the crazy design on the older L579's but the pine cone was cool!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019