• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

1970? Sako L61R 54XXX Unfired 30-06

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Forum, HKguns! You have a beautiful '06 there! I hope you have a lifetime of successful hunts with it.
There's a lot of valuable Sako information that has evolved in this thread. Many thanks, guys!

I am new to the forum however I am very impressed by the knowledge of the group and your willingness to spend time to explain the history of the rifles. I was more than a little confused regarding the Pre-Garcia era as well as the Bofers Steel issue and this exchange as well as one I read yesterday in another area has helped quite a bit. Im not sure I completly understand all of the nuisances however at least now I know why I was confused. Thanks for all your help.

After my son was given a Sako 22-250 from my father in law, I too became somewhat addicted to the rifle and so I have recently purchased what were described as 3 shooter Sakos. I purchased them based on a few bad pictures and a verbal description by the owner. When I receive them I will post pictures of them and I hope to receive a little feedback regarding what I actually have. Hopefully they dont turn out to be Remingtons...
t.gif

Thanks again

The SCA production list is from verified Hang Tags from the members.

Great stuff here, guys !!!! Thanks.

DeerGoose

Hello hk. Beautiful rifle. More and more of these keep popping up. A Garcia import that's really a Firearms International rifle with the 3 lug bolt, lighter barrel and stock. I would like to see a range report. Great caliber too......the North American champion of all calibers. Regards, Rick.

Thanks again for the nice comments, I have decided it was made to shoot and that is what I'm going to do with it.
This was an elderly gentelman's who passed away recently. It was picked up at an estate sale and I purchased it from the estate buyer. Apparently he had safe's full of rifles, some of which were never shot. His kids kept some, gave some away and sold the others.

hkguns said:
Thanks again for the nice comments, I have decided it was made to shoot and that is what I'm going to do with it.
This was an elderly gentelman's who passed away recently. It was picked up at an estate sale and I purchased it from the estate buyer. Apparently he had safe's full of rifles, some of which were never shot. His kids kept some, gave some away and sold the others.
Well, IMHO, the kids kept the wrong rifle and sold the nice one! Regards, Rick.:wink2:

Hello Sako Friends,
What a load of cough-offal I have been reading regarding what year this L61R 30-06 was suposidley made etc. When I aquired my Sako L579 .308 Win H.B. and wondered what year it was made, what did I do? Well what I did was get out my pen & pad and write to Sako. Guess what? I did not just get one reply two weeks later, but I received two replies from two long time served Sako employees - one a Lady and one a Gentleman, who reserched the hand written Sako ledger and confirmed that my Sako L579 .308 Win HB Rifle was made in 1970.
Also I received the same response although from only one employee [The same Lady] in 2006 to say that my Sako L46 .22 Hornet was made in 1952.[ She checked the same Sako ledger] Come on Ladies & Gentlemen the company Sako Finland is there to tell you when your Rifles were made!
Regards Blackjack AKA Mike

blackjack,

There's this new thing that just came out called email. It's really neat in that you don't have to have a pen & paper, pay postage for mailing that letter, or even have to wait 2 weeks for a response. I really think that it is going to make communicating with people around the world much easier. I've even heard that Sako in Finland has email and will answer questions through this computer thing.

Hello Sako Friends,
Quite frankly I can not see what all the fuss is about regarding all the mystery surrounding the year of manufacturing of Sako rifles. What I did regarding the year of manufacture for my Sako rifles was to write to Sako Finland giving them the model and serial numbers, and ask. The result was that Sako went through there hand written ledger and then wrote and informed me that one rifle was made in 1952 and the other in 1970. Result job done.
Regards Blackjack AKA Mike

Yes, we all know about email. Some people that get inundated with them tend not to answer as promptly, if at all. One does not need to be enlightened on preferential methods in communication in a condescending way.

Thanks for keeping it "gentlemanly".

S-A

Hello Sakochief,
I have tried e-mailing Sako over many years without success. When I hand write letters to Sako they have always replied.
If you had asked me why I hand write letters to Sako, I would have politley explained the reason to you. Please do not patronise me again.
Regards Blackjack

I have emailed Sako several different times to a few different emails and have not had any response to them. I may just try Blackjacks suggestion and use the hard way of communication (pen and paper).
t.gif

blackjack,
You were beyond rude in the first place with your "what a load of Cough offal" statement. I, and others here do the best we can with with the info we have to help individuals date their rifles, usually very quickly and accurately, in many cases within months in a year. I'm just curious that with all the knowledge here, along with individuals who know persons who worked at Sako, this is the first time the existence of a "hand-written ledger" documenting models and dates has surfaced. I also find it hard to believe that the simple feat of hand-writing a letter to obtain the date of manufacture seems to have never been done, at least with your claimed results. Maybe some of the old SCA members can chime in here who were involved way before e-mail. So, I will hand-write a letter to Sako requesting the date of manufacture of one of my Sako's that I have a hang-tag for and see what happens. Anyway, If you don't want to be patronized, please do not be rude to me and others again.
Will

Gentlemen!
ENOUGHxB4S ENOUGH!!!
Shake hands and get over it!!
And now wexB4re back to talking Sako!
Will!
Yes there were a hand written ledger at Sako. The SCA had micro fische of at least some of it and I know some of the SCA people visited Sako to find out about various runs of rifles.
But for how long Sako continued with the hand written ledger I do not know!! At one point or other they must have implemented computers!
Jim

Hey guys, i'm new here... May be I should write to Sako... ah the hell with it nice to here you argue!

I bought my L61 in the mid seventies. 300 win mag.. #373XX Bofors steel on the barrel. Any input??? I've been wanting a smaller cal, pig hunting ETC. I enjoy the collecting.

Mark,

You don't say whether you bought your L61R new or used, but it would have been built 1968 or earlier to have the Bofors Steel mark on the barrel. With that serial number I'm going to guess that it has the "closed center" crossbolt nut on the left hand side and has a slightly heavier contour barrel and stock than Finnbears produced a few years earlier. After owning it for over a third of a century I'm sure you're pleased with it!

Well, I did buy it used it's beautiful it has an old 6x redfield scope on it. I have to admitt, i never new what i had, years ago i walked into the local gun shop and bought it for a bear hunting tip, in northern california, only hunted it once. Bring it out once in awhile in the desert let my son shoot it. There is not much use for a rifle of this caliber in Southern California. I almost sold it a few times, glad I didn't, and would love to find a more usefull caliber for around here. You know that your getting old, when the stuff in our closet is being collected. I used to hunt bow and arrow, i have some old broad heads someware i guess there collectable. Three bows in the closet all sorts of stuff. I wish I had some of the stuff i threw away...Hmmm

Well, she is no longer an Unfired '71 Finnbear. Here she is in her ready for action state. I put 20 rounds through her yesterday to sight her in at the range. Hornady STX grouped extremely well once I got the scope dialed in.........
She is wearing her brand new Nikon Monarch 50mm 2.5-10X scope with Leupold rings.
p168398017-4.jpg

p155404800-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back