1955 Varment

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by skydancer, Jan 6, 2019.

1. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Did Sako make a varmint rifle in cal. 222 serial number 23xxx, I think in 1955. What would distinguish it from other non-varmint 222? The fore stock does not have the wider bump-out that I have seen on later Sako Varmints.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If it doesn't have the Beavertail type forend it might not be a factory Varmint stock. Our "Factory Records Service" can confirm it's born on date & tell you in what configuration it left the factory. Pictures would allow our members to tell exactly what you have. All the Varmint models from that time period that I have seen, including the two I have, also had a soldered on front sight. BTW, it is a Model L46. The heavier barrel & the Varmint stock would distinguish it from the Sporter & Mannlincher style L46's. Look at pics here of the L46 Varmint model to compare to yours. Stocks from later in the 50's had the Monte Carlo type butt, like the L461, & were sans front sights.

3. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Probably just a standard sporter…..lots of those around and they are FANTASTIC rifles !

DeerGoose

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Pictures would help. Marlin built their semi-varmint weight .222, the Model 322, on a Sako action. Its stock did not have a beavertail. Also, the Sears (J.C. Higgins) Model 52 was built on a Sako action and had a "heavy sporter" contour 26" barrel. These are two examples of "Sakos" with heavier barrels and no beavertail forearm. However, your rifle in question may be something else entirely.

5. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Could you buy the bare barreled actions like you could in the 60s?

6. skydancer

skydancer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thanks all for your kind help, I now feel it's a Sporter