1955 L46 .222 Mannlicher - What do i have?

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by Oilfied Ed, May 21, 2018.

1. Oilfied Ed

Oilfied Ed Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oklahoma
    OK so if im supposed to be posting this somewhere else please let me know.

I contacted the Record keepers and here's what the information they gave me.

option 1. L579 in .243 - 1965 NICE!!

option 1. L46 in .222 sporter stock - 1960 SWEET!!

option 2. L46 in .222 Mannlicher stock - 1955 also KILLER!!
    Along with the date of man for the Mannlicher stock they shared this little tidbit. This 'rifle' was sold as an action only. And being Sako only keeps shipping records of complete rifles, that's all the info they could give me. They did refund half the cost by the way. Customer service at its best.

That being said Im not sure how i feel about this. On the one hand I am disappointed because I am thinking I have a basically original rifle. but i dont guess i do. On the other hand Im really intrigued as to what it is i actually have.

The gentlemen at Sako records suggested posting pics and getting opinions on whether it's a custom or a proprietary rifle on a Sako action.

Anyone out there want to throw in their .02?? Anything would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You have a factory original L46 Sako Mannlicher with the 23.6" rifle-length barrel.

Sometimes a serial number is marked in error on the factory inspection records, and sometimes a completed rifle just can't be found in the shipping records. These are all handwritten records and are subject to human mistakes at the time they were recorded and errors today in interpreting 65 to 70 year-old Finnish handwriting done by various clerks.

Regardless, your rifle looks in great condition and you should be very proud to own it. Being a 1955 model it will be eligible for Medicare in just two more years!

3. Oilfied Ed

Oilfied Ed Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oklahoma
    Fantastic! Good to hear! I love this rifle regardless. But it being what I'd hoped it was makes it even more special.

THANKS!!!

4. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    A beautiful rifle you have there Ed .
    I suspect many of us would be pleased to own that one.
    As you probably know, you will likely be able to find a more suitable arrangement than the Weaver mounts should you wish.
    Still a very fine looking rifle, especially for it's age.

5. Oilfied Ed

Oilfied Ed Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oklahoma
    yessir I just received a set of sako low rings from Mr Bell!

Thanks
    Ed