.17 Magnum Ammo?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by 22hipower, May 11, 2019.

1. 22hipower

22hipower Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Some years ago I bought neat little rifle built on a L461 action with the barrel stamped Ackley-Obrien with a caliber stamp of .17 Magnum. Research suggested it was probably a .17 built on the 222 Rem Mag case back in the late '60s or early '70s serial number 96491. Found some info about the ill-fated Ackley-Obrien company in Las Vegas and the early work they did in .17 caliber rifles but not much specific about the .17 Magnum and ammunition sources.

I tried to figure out how to step down 222 Rem Mag cases to .17 but was never successful. Anyone know how to make (or buy) ammo? Looks like a great little rifle and I'd like to be able to shoot it. Or maybe sell it to someone who has cracked the code. I have an AI in .17 Remington which is tricky enough to load for and I suspect the .17 Magnum may be even more "interesting." Anyway, thanks for any info/recommendations. I did find one earlier post here from 2015 with good information about another .17 Ackley-Obrien rifle but not much as to ammunition for it.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Your assumption that it is a necked down 222 Rem Mag case is correct & there are no other changes to the body or shoulder. The best way to neck down a 22 to a 17 is to get a Redding bushing die for the 222 Rem Mag & purchase some bushings to take the neck down in increments. About three bushings should get you to 17 cal. I use two steps to go from 22 to 20 cal. Your probably going to have to turn your necks, as well, as they will be too thick after you neck them down. A "doughnut" can also appear inside the base of the neck which may have to be reamed out depending on the bullet & how deep you seat it. It is strictly a wildcat reloading situation, as no ammo is commercially made. IMR 3031 is a good all around powder for it & you can get over 4000 fps with either the 20 or 25 grain pills. Loaddata.com has info for it, but you have to pay to get the charge weights. It's a round for experienced wildcat reloaders & will require you to learn more & have more tooling than standard reloading for common rounds. You could have the barrel set back & rechamber for the 17 Rem for about what it will cost you to set up to load for the 17 Magnum. Dies & bushings-$150-$200, neck turning tools $100+, extra time & effort-priceless!

3. 22hipower

22hipower Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for the information. Your explanation of the process to reduce neck size is along the lines I tried but not with Redding dies and bushings; tried to go from .222 to .20 but that was too big a "bite" and just damaged the brass. Probably rechambering for 17 Rem makes more sense but I'm not sure I want to modify this piece of Ackley-Obrien history. Maybe I should pass this one along to someone who appreciates it for what it is and just shoot my .17 Rem. Thanks again for the explanation and recommendations.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    There are probably several guys here who might be interested in your O'brien.

Meanwhile, you might find necking .204 Ruger brass down to .17 to be easier than going from .222 Magnum. The .204 has a few dimensional differences at the shoulder, but running it through a .17 Magnum FL die would cure those. Starting with brand new cases will help since they will be hard enough not to deform but not having been fired will not be work-hardened and too tough to squeeze down.

5. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    There is an Ackley-O Brian in 17 Mach IV on GB right now. Very nice looking rig.