• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Biden's 20 million rounds

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

One possible problem with a native English-speaking person pronouncing words as in their foreign-language usage is being misunderstood (or worse, I guess, being seen as a pretentious jerk ;)). Asking a gun store clerk for some “LOP-wah" (Finnish pronunciation of Lapua) brass is likely to produce a blank stare. The confusion will be dispelled by resorting to the usual English-language (mis)pronunciation, "la-POO-uh." When the choice comes down to being correct or being understood (when both are not possible), I think I'd choose the latter.

Last edited:
One possible problem with a native English-speaking person pronouncing words as in their foreign-language usage is being misunderstood (or worse, I guess, being seen as a pretentious jerk ;)). Asking a gun store clerk for some “LOP-wah" (Finnish pronunciation of Lapua) brass is likely to produce a blank stare. The confusion will be dispelled by resorting to the usual English-language (mis)pronunciation, "la-POO-uh." When the choice comes down to being correct or being understood (when both are not possible), I think I'd choose the latter.
An excellent point; some foreign words are simply not understood if pronounced in the original language, or sometimes not at all. I've even run into that with Spanish, which is widely spoken in my part of the country. However, I've never had a problem being understood with the Finnish pronunciation of Sako, and any shop that is sophisticated enough to stock Lapua ammo or brass is going to understand it with the accent on the first syllable rather than the second.

Place names can be problematical - a lot of place names have been Anglicized for no particular reason, and if you've spent half your life overseas like I have, it can be hard to remember to re-Anglicize places like Napoli (Naples) when in company that might not recognize the original name. And sports announcers drive me nuts. I'm a fan of international winter sports: Alpine skiing, figure skating, hockey, etc. Often the announcers, even ones who have been doing international for years, mangle the athletes' names so badly that I actually have trouble figuring out who they are talking about. And forget about East Asian names, where the surname normally comes first. Rendition of Chinese and Japanese names is so random that sometimes I listen to the PA announcements to figure out who's who, since the TV announcers botch it half the time. The call on one skating competition in Japan was so bad that I resorted to listening to the PA announcements in Japanese. I don't speak Japanese, but I could get the names better than listening to the announcers in English.

Imagine somebody from Brooklyn and somebody from the Deep South trying to communicate with each other. Regional accents sometimes become mutually unintelligible dialects.
Those regions of the U.S. are a thousand miles apart, and the saturation of television has done much to reduce regional accents and dialects in the U.S.

But in Europe the dialect can change in a few kilometers. We were visiting friends who live in central Jutland region of Denmark. The subject of regional dialects came up and one of them commented that "Over on the west coast we can't even start to understand what those people are saying". The west coast was about 40 miles from where we were sitting at the time.

I assume that the near universal adoption of English as a common second language throughout Europe has been driven by the wide variety of local languages and dialects.

Side note, headcount is 7 Russian generals retired from duty (7 of 20 generals in Ukraine invasion =35% kill ratio). On top of #2 Black Sea naval commander.
Not luck, but good training & geolocating intelligence, homework & practice.

I assume that the near universal adoption of English as a common second language throughout Europe has been driven by the wide variety of local languages and dialects.
True, but also by the universality of English as the language of technology, commerce, and culture. In the old days, French was the language of diplomacy and of royal courts. These days, English is the language of the Internet and popular culture.

Another factor is that for many people, English provides a politically neutral means of communication. This has been especially true in India, where Hindi speakers consider it demeaning to speak Tamil or Telugu, and vice versa. English was a step away from traditional hostilities. This was and is also true in Eastern Europe, where it was often said that everybody can speak Russian - but they won't. One of the biggest changes I saw in Estonia in the 90's was that when I went there just after independence, hardly anybody spoke English and I got by on broken Finnish. A few years later, it seemed like everybody was learning English. The Finnish was still useful, but there were signs in English everywhere and many people wanted to practice their English.

Several years ago, when I was still traveling to our construction jobs across the country. I called home one night and was asked; who was calling, by my step-daughter. To which I answered I am the person who pays this phone bill. That job lasted 7 months of winter on Mountain Top Pennsylvania. So ones accent can also change to match their location.
Two and a half days later I was gone to Rancho Cucamonga, California for 16 Weeks. No
wonder no one understands me. At least I have found this forum and have time to enjoy my Sakos now. Wayne

So ones accent can also change to match their location.
Same thing has happened to me several times. During three years in Fiji I picked up an Australian accent. Never even realized it until I got back to the states and people started asking me if I was Australian. Took me a couple of weeks to get my American accent back. I speak Spanish with a "norteño" accent that I picked up living in Monterrey, Mexico, which is about an hour's drive south of Laredo, Texas. Some people automatically adjust their speech to what they hear around them; others talk the same no matter what.

I had a chap come into my Dept of Motor Transport office and wanted to get his Australian licence back. I asked where his old one was and he told me that the Californian DMV kept it when he moved the the USA 10 years before. So I then wanted is Californian licence to prove he had held a licence over that time. Replied he had lost it but as he had held a licence here previously said he wanted his licence back. I asked for his Proof of Identity and also just mention how odd it was that he had lived in the USA for 10 years but had not picked up even the slightest American accent. Never saw him again. You cannot live somewhere for 10 years and not pick up some of the accent.

Pete

There was a news article that Finland is sending more weapons to Ukraine but they did not specify what. We have already seen some photos of our M72 LAW in use. I wonder if they are sending our old Buk missless this time. I know that we have had some patriot missles visiting in our port in Kotka so those old buks would be somewhat inferior and perhaps unneccery. Earlier aid packets included 2500 rifles, 150.000 cartidges, 1500 M72 LAWs, helmets, kevlar vests and field rations. Also our prime minister and president are visiting NATO leaders in fast pace so I assume that we are sending the aplications before summer. If that happens we could see a massive NATO-copatible production run from Sako. Our army 280.000 men at war time strength and trained reservists pool is 900.000 men.

Why does anyone expect consistency in the English language? It's a mishmosh of ancient Saxon, Norman French, and who knows what else, with vocabulary borrowed from dozens of other languages. Consistency - what's that?

And in most of the other NATO countries, it's OTAN, pronounced OH-tahn or oh-TAHN. I'll have to look up what it is in Finnish.

English is somewhat easy to learn in to a comperhensible level but to master English is a life long challenge. I.E. word order is quite strict in English but in Finnish word order is only a way to empasize things. I love English beacause of it's "lingua franca" and suprising "mishmoosh" and I love Finnish because of it's compactness and ample ways of expression.

N-A-T-O = Pohjois - Atlannin -Puolustusliitto

There was a news article that Finland is sending more weapons to Ukraine but they did not specify what. We have already seen some photos of our M72 LAW in use. I wonder if they are sending our old Buk missless this time. I know that we have had some patriot missles visiting in our port in Kotka so those old buks would be somewhat inferior and perhaps unneccery. Earlier aid packets included 2500 rifles, 150.000 cartidges, 1500 M72 LAWs, helmets, kevlar vests and field rations. Also our prime minister and president are visiting NATO leaders in fast pace so I assume that we are sending the aplications before summer. If that happens we could see a massive NATO-copatible production run from Sako. Our army 280.000 men at war time strength and trained reservists pool is 900.000 men.

English is somewhat easy to learn in to a comperhensible level but to master English is a life long challenge. I.E. word order is quite strict in English but in Finnish word order is only a way to empasize things. I love English beacause of it's "lingua franca" and suprising "mishmoosh" and I love Finnish because of it's compactness and ample ways of expression.

N-A-T-O = Pohjois - Atlannin -Puolustusliitto
Thanks for the Finnish translation of NATO!

If Finland chooses to ship out its BUK AA missiles to Ukraine, the Ukrainians should be able to put them right into service. And Patriots will definitely be an upgrade. Only problem is, according to a news report a couple of days ago, there's a shortage of Patriots because of high demand and supply chain issues. Deliveries are booked up at least several months in advance.

I'm quite fond of the Finnish language myself, but this is the first time I've heard it described as "compact." Complex would be closer to my definition. Compound words are even longer than in German. One thing I noticed when speaking Finnish was that often when I would ask a question of a Finn, he would repeat the question back to me in the way a native Finn would ask it. What I said was entirely correct and he understood it perfectly, but a Finn would construct the sentence in a completely different way, as if from a totally different point of view. I used to speak Finnish fairly well, but there was an additional step to see the language in the way a native speaker would see it. I never fully got past that step, which was different from simply understanding the words and the grammar and making a usable sentence. And Finnish is complex. I counted 93 different forms of each and every adjective in the Finnish language. (It's not really quite that bad; some of the forms are archaic or literary so you can get by on 40 or 50.)

I always admired the skill of Finnish musicians who translate foreign lyrics into Finnish and somehow preserve rhyme and meter despite the very different cadence and the length of many Finnish words. I've seen Mozart's Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute) in three languages - English, the original German, and Finnish. I found that the lyrics (which are mostly nonsense in any language) made the most sense in Finnish, and it was a most enjoyable performance. And the country-rock band Freud, Marx, Engels, and Jung deserve a Genius Award for translating David Allan Coe's "Longhaired Redneck" into singable Finnish (Pitkätukkainen Punaniska).

I think I'll play one of my Finnish rock CD's.

Viekää minut baarin, veljet
Tuoppi ostakaa

(Särkynytsydämiset
- Freud, Marx, Engels, & Jung)

Thanks for the Finnish translation of NATO!

If Finland chooses to ship out its BUK AA missiles to Ukraine, the Ukrainians should be able to put them right into service. And Patriots will definitely be an upgrade. Only problem is, according to a news report a couple of days ago, there's a shortage of Patriots because of high demand and supply chain issues. Deliveries are booked up at least several months in advance.

I'm quite fond of the Finnish language myself, but this is the first time I've heard it described as "compact." Complex would be closer to my definition. Compound words are even longer than in German. One thing I noticed when speaking Finnish was that often when I would ask a question of a Finn, he would repeat the question back to me in the way a native Finn would ask it. What I said was entirely correct and he understood it perfectly, but a Finn would construct the sentence in a completely different way, as if from a totally different point of view. I used to speak Finnish fairly well, but there was an additional step to see the language in the way a native speaker would see it. I never fully got past that step, which was different from simply understanding the words and the grammar and making a usable sentence. And Finnish is complex. I counted 93 different forms of each and every adjective in the Finnish language. (It's not really quite that bad; some of the forms are archaic or literary so you can get by on 40 or 50.)

I always admired the skill of Finnish musicians who translate foreign lyrics into Finnish and somehow preserve rhyme and meter despite the very different cadence and the length of many Finnish words. I've seen Mozart's Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute) in three languages - English, the original German, and Finnish. I found that the lyrics (which are mostly nonsense in any language) made the most sense in Finnish, and it was a most enjoyable performance. And the country-rock band Freud, Marx, Engels, and Jung deserve a Genius Award for translating David Allan Coe's "Longhaired Redneck" into singable Finnish (Pitkätukkainen Punaniska).

I think I'll play one of my Finnish rock CD's.

Viekää minut baarin, veljet
Tuoppi ostakaa

(Särkynytsydämiset
- Freud, Marx, Engels, & Jung)

Compactness or complexity, maybe it is a matter of perspective :D (or lack of better word). I would argue that the ammount of core words in Finnish significantly less than in many other European languages. Words are formed in synthetic manner by adding cases that are regular. Compound words might be challenging for a non native speaker but there is logic behind them and sometimes quite funny too when translating into English.

Translating English music into Finnish is a true challege. One of my personal favorites of Finnish cover versions is Hector's version of Buffy Sainte-Marie's - Universal soldier (Palkkasotilas).

The bullpup, is a ukrainian manufactured, malyuk, or vulkan m, it is chamber in 5.45x39. Mainly utilized by spec ops. There are mainly volunteer units using 5.56 rifles. One is the fn fnc, provided by Belgium, as support

Compactness or complexity, maybe it is a matter of perspective :D (or lack of better word). I would argue that the ammount of core words in Finnish significantly less than in many other European languages. Words are formed in synthetic manner by adding cases that are regular. Compound words might be challenging for a non native speaker but there is logic behind them and sometimes quite funny too when translating into English.

Translating English music into Finnish is a true challege. One of my personal favorites of Finnish cover versions is Hector's version of Buffy Sainte-Marie's - Universal soldier (Palkkasotilas).
That is an interesting point of view, that perhaps should be taken into account in foreign language instruction here in the USA. While I had very good instruction from a native speaker of Finnish, she was working from a standard plan, which in my opinion did not address the difference in the thought process to put together a sentence in the Finnish language vs. English.

Your observation about things being funny is right on target. There were certain things that would always make my girlfriend laugh when I said them in Finnish. Aamutossut, for some reason, were always good for a giggle. I never did figure out why. She also found it funny that I went moose hunting, probably because it is such a Finnish thing to do. I always enjoyed the Finnish language and culture, even though the language was quite difficult.

I got out my Hector album (it was on the shelf, right between Hassisen Kone and Hurriganes), but unfortunately it does not have Palkkasotilas. I'll have to look it up on YouTube when I have time. My Finnish girlfriend liked Hector.

Cheers!

"The Finnish language is the strongest evidence yet that aliens have visited Earth". -- anonymous

A delightful young man from Ukraine worked under me for a while. He had married a U.S. Peace Corps worker. His English was very good, but like any non-native speaker he had difficulties with some slang or idiom. He once told his bride that he had witnessed a minor car wreck, which he called a "bumper humper" as a replacement for the oft-used term "fender bender". It was a characteristic which she, and all of us who worked with him, found endearing.

Back