• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Biden's 20 million rounds

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hey all!

Today the Swedish government decided to send a second batch of 5000 units of Pansarskott 86 or Bofors AT-4 which is an ”aim-shoot-throw-away” short range anti tank weapon built by Saab Bofors Dynamics. Sold to many countries including the U.S.

I’ve seen photos and film of the end result when used in Ukraine and the shooters were smiling.

Easy to use and fairly effective if not perfect to destroy heavy armoured Russian tanks.

We’ve also sent body armour, field ransions and other equipment and will also send mine detecting/clearing equipmemt in this second batch.

The first batch was against the existing laws stating that Sweden can not sell arms to any parties engaged in war. Took the government only a few days to switch foot and this was the first time Sweden sends arms to a country in war, since the Finnish Winter War in 1939.

At least openly!

https://www.saab.com/products/at4

Jim

Switzerland and Sweden! Two countries that, while generally aligned with the West, are not members of NATO and have been famously neutral through their histories. Putin has done an incredible job of uniting most of the world against his aggression.

And just to keep this on the subject of the forum, if everyone pronounces "NATO" as "Nay-toe", why doesn't everyone pronounce "Sako" as "Say-koe"?

See, we're staying on the subject.

Switzerland and Sweden! Two countries that, while generally aligned with the West, are not members of NATO and have been famously neutral through their histories. Putin has done an incredible job of uniting most of the world against his aggression.

And just to keep this on the subject of the forum, if everyone pronounces "NATO" as "Nay-toe", why doesn't everyone pronounce "Sako" as "Say-koe"?

Seiko (Say-koe) is a watch! ;)

As noted in another thread, Sako is building the new M23 rifle system, and has contracted to provide many units to the military. Most likely there will be a much larger second contact. It’s also being reported the Swedish military will benefit from the new system, as well as other related military interests.

Also note worthy - is the more recent public support from both countries to potentially join NATO. Stay tuned.

Why does anyone expect consistency in the English language? It's a mishmosh of ancient Saxon, Norman French, and who knows what else, with vocabulary borrowed from dozens of other languages. Consistency - what's that?

And in most of the other NATO countries, it's OTAN, pronounced OH-tahn or oh-TAHN. I'll have to look up what it is in Finnish.

Good morning all. I would like to compliment all of those who have joined this discussion in such an informative and non-partisan way. Even though it is not directly involved with Sako in general, it is of significant importance from the standpoint that our country is close to involvement in an all out defense of freedom that could become world wide again. For those of us who have been involved in combat on foreign soil, it is a very sobering fact that the world and our country are not in a very good condition to face the prospect of a third world war. For those of us that have fought communism, (slavery), our hearts bleed for the Ukrainian people who have lived in slavery and gained freedom from tyranny, but now endure the wrath of a tyrant. This discussion is being done in a very informative and enlightening way that is extremely important at this time. I hope to see it continue as it in the best interests of all of our members from around the world who are in some ways being effected by current situations in Ukraine. Please keep it calm and collected for the benefit of all because the freedom to seek and speak the truth are the most important ways to fight tyranny.
stonecreek, please let it roll on as long as it is done in an open and non argumentative way for the best interests of all who love freedom. Sakojim.

When I discovered Sakos in the 60's everyone did say "Say-Koe" and over a period of 10-20 years "Sock-o" became the way to pronounce it. So I adopted the "when in Rome" method. Around family, friends, and others that, for whatever reason, pronounce it Say-Koe, I use Say-Koe, and I don't correct anyone. But in a discussion where Sock-o is the way, I'm just as comfortable using Sock-o. Either way, it's the same fantastic rifle.

Personally, I prefer Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Osakeyhtiö - but some people claim it's hard to pronounce.

Say whatever you want, I say. SAKO is an acronym.

DeerGoose
True. As I believe stonecreek has noted, we usually pronounce acronyms in the language and usage of our own country, not in that of a foreign country that pronounces the acronym in their language and usage. So we pronounce NATO as NAY-toe, not as a European would pronounce it, as NAH-toe or otherwise (OTAN). The same long-A pronunciation (which would be typical for speakers of English) of SAKO would be SAY-koe. So, since it is an acronym and not a Finnish word, that's how I will continue to pronounce it.

But the Finns say Socko!
A few decades ago I attended a meeting of the old Sako Collectors Association, held in conjunction with the Dallas Safari Club show. Sorry I don’t remember the exact year. The President of the SCA managed to bring one of the big shots from the Sako factory in as keynote speaker. Of course his pronunciation was Sock-o.
That was the first time I had heard that pronunciation.

A few decades ago I attended a meeting of the old Sako Collectors Association, held in conjunction with the Dallas Safari Club show. Sorry I don’t remember the exact year. The President of the SCA managed to bring one of the big shots from the Sako factory in as keynote speaker. Of course his pronunciation was Sock-o.
That was the first time I had heard that pronunciation.
Exactly! If it is a Finnish company & it is a Finnish acronym & the Finnish pronounce it Socko. So why do people insist on saying Say-koe? I don't get it. Is it American arrogance & disrespect for other languages that trumps how the Finns pronounce it?????? Or is it that the people that have been saying Say-koe for all these years just can't admit that they have been WRONG? I don't think the Finns tell us how to pronounce our words or acronyms. Just sayin'.

I don't think the Finns tell us how to pronounce words or acronyms.
No, but you can bet that they pronounce North American acronyms, like NAFTA, NASA, or OSHA, according to their own language, usage, and locutions, and not the way we do.

Neither arrogance nor disrespect--SAY-koe is just fine in English-language countries. (just sayin'!;))

Edit: Just to add a little bit here. This localized pronunciation of foreign words extends well beyond acronyms to actual words. As an example, I understand that the proper Finnish pronunciation of Lapua (known for their excellent brass, bullets, and ammunition) is something like "LOP-wah" (correct me if I'm wrong, icebear), whereas I don't think anyone in an English-language country would pronounce it that way; instead we all say "la-POO-uh." And what about the Finnish cellphone maker Nokia? Evidently the Finns pronounce this "KNOCK-ya." So are we being arrogant and showing Finland disrespect when we pronounce it "no-KEE-uh" as probably 99% of Americans do?

Last edited:
No, but you can bet that they pronounce North American acronyms, like NAFTA, NASA, or OSHA, according to their own language, usage, and locutions, and not the way we do.

Neither arrogance nor disrespect--SAY-koe is just fine in English-language countries. (just sayin'!;))

Edit: Just to add a little bit here. I think this localized pronunciation of foreign words extends well beyond acronyms to actual words. As an example, I understand that the proper Finnish pronunciation of Lapua (known for their excellent brass, bullets, and ammunition) is something like "LOP-wah" (correct me if I'm wrong, icebear), whereas I don't think anyone in an English-language country would pronounce it that way; instead we all say "la-POO-uh." And what about the Finnish cellphone maker Nokia? Evidently the Finns pronounce this "KNOCK-ya." So are we being arrogant and showing Finland disrespect when we pronounce it "no-KEE-uh" as probably 99% of Americans do?
I see you are in Canada, so how would you pronounce Sako in French? Just kidding!

Speaking of acronyms - while Sako started off as an acronym, it has not been one since 1945, when SAKO (Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Osakeyhtiö) was reorganized and renamed Sako Oy. Under the terms of the peace agreement that ended the Continuation War, the Suojeluskunta (the Civil Guard, which had owned SAKO) was abolished and ownership of Sako was transferred to the Finnish Red Cross. This was done at the insistence of the Soviets, whose troops had suffered badly at the hands of the Suojeluskunta. As far as I know, this is the only time the Red Cross has ever owned an arms factory. Thus, Sako ceased to be an acronym and became a Finnish word. And every single civilian Sako was made under Sako the free-standing name, not SAKO the acronym.

So, we cannot use the origin of Sako as an acronym to justify pronouncing the word any way you please. 77 years should be enough to learn how to pronounce it. And by the way, Finnish is always accented on the first syllable. The capital is HEL-sink-ee, not Her-SINK-ee. Lapua is LAH-poo-ah. Etc., etc. I'm being a bit hypocritical about this, since I and my extended family intentionally mispronounce the family name. We do this because if we pronounce it correctly in the original language, nobody would ever spell it correctly in English. Fortunately, my great-grandfather was literate when he got to Ellis Island, so the immigration clerk didn't have the opportunity to mangle the name, as happened to others who left Europe with one name and left Ellis Island with a different one.

Icebear: You should hear some of the verbal mangling of ordinary English words by otherwise native English speakers in my part of the world where fences are made of "bob war". But you can cut the bob war with a good pair of "plars".

There are some entertaining morphs of words from other languages. I live not far from the Pedernales (the Spanish word for flint rock) river. But Lyndon Johnson, through whose property it ran, simply couldn't pronounce the word, so nearly everyone calls it the "Perdinalis" river as he did.

I haven't noticed any quality or accuracy differences between the Say-kos and the Sah-kos in my possession, so I'm fairly agnostic on how to pronounce their name. And no one has ever refused to accept my stack of hundred dollar bills to pay for one because I pronounced it differently from them.

And no one has ever refused to accept my stack of hundred dollar bills to pay for one because I pronounced it differently from them.
An excellent point!

Also a perceptive observation about native speakers of English mangling their own language. Imagine somebody from Brooklyn and somebody from the Deep South trying to communicate with each other. Regional accents sometimes become mutually unintelligible dialects. And back when I lived in the Far East, the Far Eastern Economic Review used to have a regular back-page feature on the fractured English seen and heard around the region. This was, of course, before it became politically incorrect to find anything funny about people's use of language. Back in the day, FEER published some real howlers and my friends and I always looked forward to a new episode. One of my favorites was "Shitze Toilet Soap," a non-standard Romanization of the Chinese for "Lion" brand. I still have the wrapper, complete with lion logo, in a box of old souvenirs.

Back