• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Own a Color Copier? Make Money!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Our friend the Gunfather (Safari72 on Gunbroker), who has been thoroughly criticized here on this forum for his reproduced Sako stocks and put-together rifles sold implicitly as "new", now apparently has a color copier and a new, or additional, business plan.

For only thirty bucks he'll sell you a reproduction of a Sako box label which you can fill out yourself and thus have a better chance of passing off one of his put-togethers as "as new in box". And if you're a Colt fan, he has the box literature for literally dozens of models -- going for various prices depending on how many pieces of paper are in the box.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921784113

But I have my own business plan: I buy one of his reproduction Sako box labels for $30, then I reproduce it on my copier and sell the copies for $25 each, thus undercutting him by $5 and getting all of the business of those who wish to try to fool the market about what their Sako is! This plan is much better and infinitely safer than copying $20 bills on your home copy machine. Of course, the "original" copy of the box label costs ten bucks more than the twenty you pull out of you billfold -- plus the Gunfather's $3.95 shipping charge for a piece of paper which fits in a small envelope.

BTW........

I think I saw....somewhere.....a production of the H&R Model 317 Owners Manual/Instruction Book. :(

Anyone else see it?

(edit: I found it.....on GB.
"factory new".....for only $19.95 + $4.95 S&H......only two left)
(edit #2: On eBay they're $19.95 + free shipping........a deal!)

Last edited:
Thank you stonecreek.
It is unfortunate for those who have found the quality of the older collectible Sako rifles, and are not yet aware of the unscrupulous tactics used by some greedy sellers. These methods not only cheat the unwary and uninformed, but also indirectly lowers the quality standing of the Sako's in general. Thank you for what the Sako Collectors Club membership does to keep members informed of these practices. If I remember correctly, there were laws at one time to prevent
infringement of copywriters laws and written literature (including emblems and such) without authorized permission. I wonder if some members of our club has the expertise to research this. If one of these well known offenders were put in their place by legal process, the practice might cease. Years ago I made a purchase (Sako) on a well known gun auction site over the internet from a seller in another state. After all arrangements were completed by phone, I waited for more than a week for the promised tracking #. Another phone call and the same promises followed by another week and no tracking #. After two weeks I lost my patience. At my request our county DA made a call to his county DA. The seller's county DA called him and informed him of the penalties for internet fraud and gave him a 48 hour time limit to provide me with a tracking # of the shipment and a stern promise of prosecution if the very expensive item was not received in the condition as shown on the auction site. The seller called me very apologetically asking for 2 hours to ship the item. One hour later he called again, gave me the tracking # and begged me not to take further action and I received the shipment in excellent condition 3 days later. I have often wondered if the seller was attempting to collect for several sales of the same item. Since that unhappy experience I have never bought over the internet. I always use phone communication along with ID and background check. Never have a problem and save a lot of worry over fraud. Our world ain't what it used to be. We have had two attempts to tap our bank account, once from China. Very lucky it was caught before the money could be withdrawn. We solved this problem by keeping a separate account with minimum balance and only deposit enough to cover use when needed. Internet 'nerds' can crack any security.
I can only state emphatically: "Let the buyer beware!" Sakojim.

Yep, we all know him, he's a moron.

Here is a Browning Olympian barreled action that was listed at First Stop Guns a while back for sale somewhere in the neighborhood of $1600 as I remember.

Well I knew our friend would scarf it up and put on one of his homemade stocks on it so I copied and saved the picture showing the serial number.

Here is the before and after pictures. New homemade stock and jeweled bolt.

wm_14670923.jpg 62511L71-BROWNING-OLY-300-WIN-MAG-029-SM.jpg

On the early long extractor high grade Browning rifles the bolt was not jeweled. It was highly polished only, and the long extractor was jeweled. The later supreme action (ie short extractor) rifles do not have a LE. And because the serial number has an "L" instead of a "P", the only way to know it was born as an Olympian is to letter it. "L" was for Safari's. It's well know that Browning did produce a few "L" Olympians, so this serial number could be correct. But when you spend over 10 grand for a rifle it's nice to know it's factory produced and not an upgrade. Only lettering will tell that.

Well, I wouldn't say he's a moron, Rocky. He may be quite smart and rather talented -- just "ethically challenged".

I did exactly the same thing as you when I saw a beat up L46 .22 Hornet that I watched him purchase on GB. I copied its serial number and voila! it turned up a few weeks later on his website as an "as new" Deluxe sporter. I verified its serial number as inspected in the early 1950's. There were no Deluxe sporters until about 1957, so it was an obvious fake. He apparently did not think that information was important since it went unmentioned in his description of the gun.

I'm would guess that the Browning Olympian in your photos must have been a "salt wood" gun, hence the synthetic stock replacement. It would be "entertaining" to look at the metal under the second version of it to see how deep he had to polish to get the pits out.

A number of companies specialize in restorations, which is a useful and honorable pursuit, and they get big dollars for the outstanding job they do. If this guy would just advertise his products for what they are -- restorations -- then there would be no problem with him in that regard. Unfortunately, he tries to maximize his profits by allowing people to believe that his products are original rather than reworked.

Latest posts

Back